Give ring back

My ex fiance and I broke up 2 years ago. He moved in with me after we got engaged and quit his job, and stayed at home. It was summer time (in AZ) and he ran up two $700.00 APS bills. Ordered movies on my direct TV and never helped pay for groceries. I told him things needed to change and he needed to get a job, and nothing. I came home one day and he moved to MO. Now he wants his ring back.

I told him I would send it to him if he paid for the shipping.

Nickcole23

Asked by Nickcole23 at 3:47 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Relationships

• If he really didn't pay for anything, keep the ring. Normally, I'd say to give it back. Have him send you a check for what he owes, then cash it, then send the ring.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 3:49 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I'd tell him when he pays those bills you would send it back, what a jerk to expect he can walk all over you and get his cake too.
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 3:50 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I would itemize all the things he owes you for and tell him you will return the ring when he pays up and tell him if he doesn't pay you plan to sell the ring to cover his bills. Its your ring now, he's a d/ck, so eff him. NORMALLY I feel that in your average run of the mill break up that the woman should return the ring, its a pride thing for me, but in this case? No way.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:51 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• you got to look at the law on this one. in some states engagements rings are conditional. meaning that you can keep it if you get married. but if you dont get married it goes back to him. in other states its considered a gift and does not need to be returned. you cant keep it because he owes you money. that will get you sued. just like a landlord cant stop you from getting your stuff because you owed him. look at the arizona law and see what it says. good luck. that sucks.
    motheroprincess

Answer by motheroprincess at 3:56 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Keep the ring!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:56 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I doubt if he can't pay for shipping he's going to sue you over a ring wheres he going to get that money from unless he got himself a dumb sugar mama wanting a "used" engagement ring...
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 4:03 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• pawn the ring and use the money for the bills he racked up
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I agree that it should be sold to repay you for the bills he ran up. I'd send him a bill and tell him as soon as he pays the bill in cash you will return the ring. If not, you will keep the ring and sell it to cover his expenses

Answer by admckenzie at 5:14 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• tell him you sold it to pay his bills off
    monshine2

Answer by monshine2 at 5:50 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I'm guessing he wants to give it to someone else now. Jerk. Under those circumstances, I would tell him to pay for what he owes you. Depending on the cost of the ring (get it appraised), he may still owe you money, in which case he should pay postage and insurance, assuming you want to give it back to him.

If he doesn't want to, sorry 'bout his luck!
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 6:07 PM on Jul. 7, 2011