What do you do when your teens are doing chores.

I was raised with the notion that you don't sit on your bum while others work around you, BUT my chores are done and I am taking care of my sick baby (finally napping). I would really love to veg and watch a little tv. I admit I feel a little guilty. It is ok to relax a bit right? What do you do when your teens are doing chores?

ochsamom

Asked by ochsamom at 3:54 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• I tend to need to supervise or DD does a bad job or worse yet, she goes off and doesn't do the chores at all.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 4:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I make all my children help out around the house. I work take care of 4 kids and do my share of EVERYTHING around the house. It is perfectly fine to sit and watch tv or look at the computer screen while they do their chores.
    momand4kids

Answer by momand4kids at 4:13 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• So I guess that leads to the next question....are there consequences for not doing their chores or doing them poorly? My kids have no summer fun if their work isn't done.  My kids are 16 and 19.

ochsamom

Comment by ochsamom (original poster) at 4:13 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Mine are 14 and 16, and if 16 yr old wants his GF to visit HE has to do chores, if 14 yr old wants a cousin over- HE has to do chores, I don't ask much- wash dishes, wash laundry and put away and take out the trash- the rest of the house is always tidy. And I relax, I work 40 hrs a week and so does DH to feed them. If I have a breather- it is outside with my little kids. :)
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 4:20 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• and if for some reason I have to request they help me other than for their own benefit and they don't do as told, their cells and PC time are gone!
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 4:22 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Do my chores or play on the computer. Don't feel guilty!
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 7:56 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• We each have chores we are responsible for every week. When they get done doesn't matter. So them doing their chores doesn't concern me at all. I pay my kids to do chores. They aren't things like empty the dishwasher we all do that whenever needed. They do things like clean bathrooms and such. So their consequences are no chores, no pay.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 8:27 PM on Jul. 13, 2011