Allergies to horses...solutions?

I grew up on a farm with lots of animals, especially horses. I had no problems with them until my preteen years. At that time I became severely allergic. My eyes would water to the point that it looked like I couldn't stop crying. I sneezed a lot. My nose would completely stuff up and become runny off an on. My eyes would eventually swell shut and I would severely wheeze. I was devestated when this started happening because animals were such a big part of my life and my family;s life. Now when I visit I can't even leave the house because just the air of the area gets to me with all of the dander. I stayed away for several years and just recently went back last weekend to my aunt's ranch. I took tried Zyrtec, Claratin D, Benadryl and even got a shot before I left (the kind that lasts 6 weeks but can cause osteoporosis). Needless to say, I didn't even TOUCH a horse and automatically started all of my past allergy symptoms. Is there ANY other solutions like natural doctors or other treatments? I'd hate to live with this for the rest of my life.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:09 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Health

• consult an allergist...
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I lived with horses my whole life and have the same thing. The best I can reccomend is wearing a dust mask while near them, which doesnt help eyes but nose and allergy induced asthma. Don't touch your eyes, which as a farm girl you know dust blows anyway. Ask your doctor if they can prescribe something better than otc meds. Good luck. Lol sounds like you're like me and love is pain.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 4:14 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I can't be aroudn them either for the same reasons and then i also get hives to add to it.. I have tried it all too and just can't be around them or close to them period. Sad because they are so beautiful!!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:26 PM on Jul. 7, 2011