Whats the key to a successful yard sale, I'm having my first one tomorrow any advise?

letlovegrow2524

Asked by letlovegrow2524 at 4:09 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Just for Fun

• i look for deals when i go to yard sales.....some people put a high price tag on their items and i can go to a store and buy it for the same price... put up lots of signs
    momand4kids

Answer by momand4kids at 4:18 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• The one thing I did which is usually a big hit is to have a cooler of water and soda for sale @ $1.00 each. Free coffee is also appreciated in the am. When you get towards the end of your sale discount everything left. 50 or 75 % off tag. whatever. If you have clothes and they don't sell, just give them away to customers there the last couple of hours. If you don't need or want them anymore it will save you from having to bring them to good will. Get some extra boxes and plenty of bags ready. Have a radio and fan for your comfort. Have fun ! :-)
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 4:18 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I am guessing you advertised. Keep the prices low- remember the main goal is to not have to drag all that stuff back into your house!! Have change on hand-lots of ones and quarters. keep a calculator handy. Be ready for the early birds. Set up a half hour earlier than you posted for the start time.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:19 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I think Saturdays are better days to have yard sales Sunday's are okay...make huge bright colored signs to post up around your area. Have things organized and easy to see. Always be willing to negotiate a little on the price.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 4:20 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• price it low
    you do not want to haul it all back into the house again

first hour can be extremely busy, have more than you out there
    do not have to take less money the first couple of hours, after that be willing to go lower
    price items, sales with no price-people are too shy to ask and have to place to start asking for lower
    kids can do lemonade stand-keeps them busy on close by
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 4:21 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• signs

make them readable when driving by
    address too small-people will not see it
    big arrows are good enough when close by
    post sale on craigslist
    make sale noticeable from street- if it is in back-put ballons out, make sure people see where your sale is
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 4:23 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Thanks Most of my clothing I kept between 1 to 10 dollars with the exception of two brand new pairs of maternity jeans, and the kids clothing .25 to a few dollars. I bought really bright poster board thanks I guess I should get some drinks.
    letlovegrow2524

Comment by letlovegrow2524 (original poster) at 4:25 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• make sure your words on your signs are big enough to read. I hate it when people right the info on their sale sign to small to read as I drive by it
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 8:05 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• i want to come :D i love yard sales

post on craigslist! mention on the ad a few hot items you're selling so you stand out from the others posted on there
    price everything...at least most of it. there are shy people and people who would prolly buy an item but after asking a price a few times on different things, they won't bother to ask any more.
    big signs with big letters and address...i agree, i miss probably a bunch of good ones while driving by.
    display your items in a cool way. a bunch of people "guage" a sale by just driving by. i never stop at a sale with one table, or one tarp and the rest in boxes. put the cool/pretty stuff out front... big items, and kitchen items always tend to do better than a box of clothes or something...
    at the end of the day, if you have a bunch of clothes (around 11) you can do a bargain of "grab a bag and fill it for 2) you'd be amazed at how that appeals to people and adds up.
    iheartsquishies

Answer by iheartsquishies at 8:14 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• and it's true that you want to be out there and set up early. if you advertise they will come and see how it's coming along, trying to get first dibs. so just say "no early birders" if you don't want that. and don't settle for bottom dollar for awhile. price things fair and you'll get happy people and make off better with people buying more instead of scaring them off. you'll get the swindlers trying to save every dime but all in all you'll have fun. i had a radio turned low for "background noise"...some people are shy and don't want to be the only ones there shopping while no one else is there at the moment. calculator, tons and tons of bags, a few small boxes, newspaper, about 40 bucks in change and you're good to go! happy selling!
    iheartsquishies

Answer by iheartsquishies at 8:22 PM on Jul. 7, 2011