Throw out the damn sippy cups???!!! Or not?

My autistic step son will be five in less than a month. Daddy, his mommy, grandparents, school, and daycare are all still giving him sippy cups to drink out of.

I am the only one that does not and he does fine with a normal child size cup. Everyone argues with me that he will only drink out of a regular cup for me. Well won't he just have to drink out of a regular cup if people stop babying him?

Yes he is autistic and does not like change but he DOES need to grow up sometime right?

I know this is a loaded question but please advise :)

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 7:09 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I work with special needs kids, including some who are severely autistic and really, it's only been the ones with a physical disabiltiy to go along with the intellectual disability that haven't been able to feed themselves or use regular cups, utensils, etc. It's just like any other kid, he obviously is capable of using a regular cup, but he's manipulating everyone into giving him a sippy. And he will continue to take advantage of them until they make him use the regular cup. It's amazing how smart a lot of special needs kids are. They may be intellectually disabled, but they are quite smart. And they can/will work it too.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 9:24 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I am with you on this. Just because he is Autistic, doesn't mean he can't learn. People should be treating him as normal as possible. Autistic doesn't mean brain damaged

Answer by louise2 at 7:14 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Oh.. i totally agree with you. and i also agree with louise2. Just because he is autistic doesnt mean he cant drink from a reg. cup. there are so many autistic people in this world and many of them have a (almost) normal life. They have jobs ect.

The family really needs to stop babying him and treat him like a normal child. I think every autistic person has problems with changings. But if you put enough effort and time in teaching things, then it will work out fine.

Talk to your family about it again. They wont do him any good if they keep treating him like a baby.

Good luck
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 7:33 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I agree with you. I've never dealt with someone that has autism, but from what I understand, they are still very much capable of doing most of what a "regular" person does. So, yes, I think they are babying him. Maybe one day all the sippy cups could be dirty so that they have no choice but to give him a regular cup? Just to be able to prove to them that he can and will do it.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:55 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I totally agree with all of you. It might help give the child a sense of acomplishment as well. I've never been around a autistic child either but I can't see where it would hurt the child.
    LOSBDucky

Answer by LOSBDucky at 10:17 PM on Dec. 16, 2008