Have you ever seen a parent just stuff their child's face with food to get them to calm down?

I think it's sad and ridiculous that that's how some parents deal with their child's behavior. They just stuff their crying child's face with food. It's just pathetic.

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 4:29 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• no but I've seen parents placate a kids' bratiness with rewards, which is equally bad. the kid's throwing a fit and the parent, rather than telling them some version of "knock that off", falls all over themselves to give the kid whatever they want to get them to calm down and "behave" (the quotes are because I don't consider being a little terror to get what you want "behaving")
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 4:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• OH yes! I have too auto. It's very irritating and makes me want to punch that parent in the face. Cause that makes it difficult for whoever has to teach or babysit that child.
    Imogine

Comment by Imogine (original poster) at 4:40 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• lol
    If my 1 yo is having a fit and I need to get something done really quick, I give him a saltine cracker. He takes it, eats it, and goes off to play. I'm okay with what works for now.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 6:08 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Well, a child WILL NOT eat if not hungry, generally.... When my almost 2 YO is throwing a fit and I am not sure why I go thru the phases, and if food works, then odds are that is why she was crying... you can't always assume that the parent is simply "shoving" food at them, as a parent I generally know what my child wants and know what make MY child happy and for anyone to say they know my child better than I do is simply rediculous! Many people may try to use food to calm a child, but IT WONT WORK if that isn't the issue, therefore if it worked, it was usually the issue.... my point is unless you are with the mother and child at least 3 days a week, there is no way you can say that she is wrong for giving the child food when upset!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 6:25 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• now rewarding for bratiness, I do disagree with b/c that is something that can not be misinterpreted....

JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 6:26 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• you can't always assume that the parent is simply "shoving" food at

===

When a 1 year old weighs close to 45 lbs, yes I can.
    Imogine

Comment by Imogine (original poster) at 6:31 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• 40 lbs is twice the size a one year old should be.
    Imogine

• No, but maybe that is why the USA is obese in most states. I think most of us older people ,born in the 1940's - grew up with no snacks, no pop, small portions at each meal and a low rate of obesity. I went to my 50 year class reunion last fall and the majority of us were normal weight and looked younger than our true age. NOWDAYS people are too overweight and suffer from premature aging, knee injuries and so forth from the extra weight. Food is thought of pleasure, rewards, tranquilizers.....not just a way to nourish your body. Kids too---they are being trained to NEED to eat when they aren't even hungry. Its sad.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 7:43 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I don't think I've ever seen a 45 lb one year old, except on Maury P.
    Anonymous

• Well I have anonymous. Seen and witnessed it. Very disgusting and sad for the child.
    Imogine

Comment by Imogine (original poster) at 10:39 PM on Jul. 7, 2011