How can i get my son who turned 2 in march to talk!?

he knows when i say "give me a high five"
"give me a kiss"
"No"
when i call him
"hi"
"bye" i think he knows what i am saying but he wont say anything,
it seems like he trys to talk.. he yells a lot.
But im not sure what to do, Everyone says read to him but he doesnt sit still long enough, he is a energetic, 2 year old boy!
im a young mom with no help expt my financee, im a stay at home mom and all my son sees is me and the neighbors every once in a while.

thanks

mandiwilson

Asked by mandiwilson at 4:51 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have him say drink before getting him a drink - get him to tell you not just point to what he wants.
    Tess929

Answer by Tess929 at 4:56 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Let him take his time it will happen when you least expect it
    keimom

Answer by keimom at 5:24 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Google early intervention for your area. They should be able to do a free developmental evaluation and let you know whether or not there is a delay in any area (it's possible he could have an expressive speech delay, but be on target with receptive speech). If there is a delay they will do free or very low cost therapy to help him catch up. It was a huge help with my son!

Answer by missanc at 8:29 PM on Jul. 10, 2011