Do your younger adult children still ask for permission?

My DD just turned 18 about 2 weeks ago. She still asks for permission to go to a friends, etc. I'm not knocking it just find it curious.

I was the kind of kid that was like "I'm 18 now! Not asking anything anymore!"

Cindy18

Asked by Cindy18 at 4:55 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• Not as much permission as letting me know where they will be and when they should be home.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:30 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• When I was 18, and still living at home I still had a CURFEW! I always had to ask permission, tell my parents who I was going to be with, exactly what we were doing etc and I had to call and check in. Up until I was 19 I think, then... I moved out!! :)
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 5:00 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I always did so they knew where I was. Did it when I lived with my inlaws for a while too.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 5:00 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I was married at 18 and lived at home until then. It was my parents' home and I lived by their rules for as long as I was there. It never occurred to me to do otherwise.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:11 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I did it up until I moved out as well. I always thought it was 'right' to do it- they still loved me and cared about me, so they would worry, you know?
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 5:03 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• As long as they live under our roof I do not care how old they are, they should ask.
    rainha

Answer by rainha at 11:03 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Mine is 23 and tells me every time he goes somewhere, not asking for permission but just letting me know, it is unusual but good.

Answer by older at 7:57 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I'm 29 and living with my parents while my house is being built. I have to ask them before I do anything. Its frustrating and i can't wait till september when my house is done
    3rdtymsthecharm

Answer by 3rdtymsthecharm at 3:16 AM on Jul. 18, 2011

• yes mine are 20 and 18 and still ask for permission, they live in my house. i think its okay too, kids nowadays don't have that respect of their parents home and do whatever they want.
    lucky35

Answer by lucky35 at 3:29 PM on Jul. 19, 2011

• My son is 18. Still has a curfew, and while I don't expect him to ask permission, I do expect him to tell me where he's going ... and he does.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Jul. 29, 2011