• In the Spotlight:

How many of you actually have a decent...

amount of money in savings? How about for your kiddos too?

I'm not asking for specifics..just wondering how well off a majority are doing financially and feel they are more secure.

For myself, I would have to say we have very little invested for ourselves and our kids which I find very unsettling. That and we have credit to pay too..luckily under 10 grand. It feels like we'll never get ahead to save the money to put it down on a house, or put anything towards our savings or our childrens. It sucks being broke all the time!

Heathercurlz

Asked by Heathercurlz at 5:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Money & Work

• I wish we were that lucky but it seems we can never be ahead. Either our car needs another part or something pops up that has to be taken care of. I hope soon tho that we can start saving.
    rossfamiily

Answer by rossfamiily at 6:04 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Right now times are tough, and adding money to my savings is nearly impossible. But, the savings never goes below $2000, so I am proud of that :)
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 5:09 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• We have money in savings, retirement and investment accounts. I personally have been putting money away since I was 14 years old. My husband has also been saving since he was young. Our son has his own savings account at the credit union he deposited money today and has 1500 bucks he personally put away. We have other accounts for him we put money in. We live below our means to make sure we can put away each month.
    Anonymous

• we have a college savings that we have been saving $100 a month of each of the girls from birth on until their 18th b-days. past that, we have no savings
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 5:08 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• we have a savings but it doesnt have much in it.. I think as long as you have a roof over your head and food on your table and gas in your car you are doing great in this economy!!!!
    mikailas_mom

Answer by mikailas_mom at 5:09 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• nope. pay check to pay for us, pretty much down to the dollar. but I see good things in the future, and everything always seems to work out how it should.
    Shani527

Answer by Shani527 at 5:10 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I have a savings account for my son that i'm the custodian of, but I don't touch it. His account is tripled or more the amount of mine and it makes me very proud that even though I struggle now and then that I know he will be guarunteed this money. Now the trick is through the years to teach him money management!
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 5:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I have about 3 months worth of living expenses in my savings.
    I don't feel "secure" though. The dollar could collapse and that money could mean nothing.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 5:14 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• i did at one time(a few years ago) but i managed to lose everything due to some very bad descicions so I have started over completely n the last couple years im going back to school so I can have a career instead of a low payin crappy job. my husband has really grown up in the last couple years and is doin really good in his job so hopefully in the next couple years we will be doin a lot better cuz for now we're livin paycheck to paycheck
    april666

Answer by april666 at 5:19 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• We have small accounts for the kids . . . like 600 in each, that all of their B-day money goes into. We have retirement accounts that are not being contributed to right now because of the economy, but the money is still in there. And, we only have enough savings for 1 emergency mortgage payment.

Things are SUPER tight . . . especially after the costs of goods and gas has increased more than salary!
    Anonymous