Have you ever cooked bacon in the oven?

I don't want to seem stupid, but wouldn't it splatter grease all over the oven and be a huge mess? I keep seeing recipes all over the place for bacon done in the oven. I'm puzzled.

texasgurl33

Asked by texasgurl33 at 5:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Yes I have. here's the way we do it:

Line a baking sheet with foil. This will make cleanup easier later.
    Arrange bacon slices on the foil and place the baking sheet on the center rack of a cold oven. Close oven door. Turn oven on to 400°F. Walk away.
    Come back 17 to 20 minutes later. As soon as the bacon is golden brown, but not excessively crisp, it's done. The exact time will depend on the thickness of the bacon slices, and also on how quickly your oven reaches the target temperature.
    Remove the pan from the oven. Transfer the bacon to another sheet pan lined with paper towels to absorb the fat.
    Don't pre-heat the oven! Make sure the oven is cold when you put the bacon in.
    Keep your eye on the bacon during the final few minutes of cooking to make sure that it doesn't burn. Also, remove the cooked bacon from the hot pan right away. The heat from the pan and the hot bacon fat will continue cooking the bacon.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:18 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Many times, and it does not splatter that bad.
    Keva1990

Answer by Keva1990 at 5:13 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• only when it was wrapped around sausages or shrimp, but I don't see why you couldnt.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 5:14 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I've cooked it in the microwave--even have a special little gizmo designed just for cooking bacon. I don't remember ever having just cooked it in the oven since I much prefer it cooked in a skillet.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:15 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Yes, I do it all the time. No it doesn't splatter. I bake it at 425 for about 12 minutes. I put non-stick foil on a cookie sheet, very easy clean-up. I make about 2 lbs, wrapped two pieces together and freeze them. It is very convenient for breakfast, certain meals, to just defrost what I need.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 5:16 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Thats how I always do it. It doesnt splatter that much at all. When the oven cools I usually wipe it down, but I do that with a lot of stuff I make anyway if it happens to drip.
    Shani527

Answer by Shani527 at 5:16 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• It doesn't splatter like on the stove. It's quicker and easy in the oven.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 5:19 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I put it int he oven on a cookie sheet (with a rim) on wax paper. It has never made a mess for me but it is SO much easier than pan frying!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:22 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• It really doesn't spatter grease all over!
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 5:59 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• yes and I found it just as messy and it took awhile.
    Amr515

Answer by Amr515 at 7:08 PM on Jul. 7, 2011