Is it better to make your own baby food or just use jarred? What are the benefits of both?

mkri244

Asked by mkri244 at 5:13 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if you make your own you have a better chance at making sure what you feed your baby is healthy, as well as glass, metal and poison free.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 5:16 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Making your own is healthier and cheaper but jarred is more convenient.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 5:19 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• The jarred is more convenient. The kind you make yourself is probably the more wholesome because you can leave out the salt, sugar and other additives.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:20 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Making your own is less expensive, easy, and healthier.
    Store bought is convenient.
    But there are ways to make homemade more convenient, lots of good tips...
    ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 5:20 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Jarred is convenient but making your own can be cheaper and and gives you more room to play with flavors. Like for me once we went through all the veggies one by one I started adding spices one by one- garlic- tarragon-thyme- curry...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:21 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• You can give your child much more variety with homemade baby food than you can with jarred. Single ingredient foods are what they say they are. If it says apples, it's apples. When you get into the mixed ingredients, it's usually a large amount of one food, and just enough of the other foods to let the baby taste that. For instance, apples and blueberries is mostly apple, and just a tiny bit of blueberry. Also, it seems that 75% of jarred foods have apple as an ingredient.

The advantage to jarred food is that it's much less of a hassle to deal with. If you make the food, you have to prepare it, portion it, and freeze it.. Then when the baby needs to eat, you have to pull out the amount of food you need, thaw it, and give it to the baby. With a jar, you just open the jar and give it to the baby.

I did a combination of jarred and homemade with my second. That way, I could give her different combinations than the jar.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 5:25 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Oh, and with homemade food, you control how much of each ingredient is added.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 5:26 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• ive tried both & i did/will do a combination of both. jarred is nice for a quick meal when baby is so hungry he/she is upset. but when you have time homemade is healthier & cheaper. some are easy to mash raw (bananas, peas) & make the most sense to do yourself financially & time wise, some have to be steamed/boiled first (carrots, sweet potatoes) so its up to you if its worth it, some are easier jarred b/c they are gritty or leave shells when homemade (pears, corn) and some are just nasty no matter which option you choose (meats).

if you so some jarred & do some homemade, save the jars. you can wash them & use them to store your homemade food.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:42 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I made most of my own... but used a few things jarred
    It's cheaper, it's fun, it tastes MUCH MUCH better.... you can control exactly what goes into it as well as the texture.
    I did jarred peas because the skins game me troubles... and then I had a few jars around to just pack and go.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:01 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I would not recommend storing the baby food in store-bought jars. They're not designed for extreme heat or cold and thus you cannot freeze or boil them without running the risk of tiny glass shards. There are jars designed for home-made baby food or you can freeze it like ice cubes.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 12:39 PM on Jul. 8, 2011