Have you ever asked for your child to not be put in the same class as another child?

My son has a girl that was in his kindergarten class last year and I am hoping beyond hope that this girl is not in his class. She is very ill behaved always climbing all over things screaming throwing fits and hurting kids and teachers. All the kids talk about when they come home is how naughty this child was being not what they learned that day in school. I know a lot of the parents so yes it is more than just my child coming home talking about it. I also know her parents she is not a special needs kid she has no issues they have taken her to a ton of specialists who all told them she has no problems and a few of them gave the parents parenting homework. I am worried if my son is in her 2nd grade class that he is going to be behind. I honestly think her whole class will be. The teachers last year had to spend more time on her than they where spending on the special needs kids. Is it wrong to ask for my child not to be put in class with this girl? I feel bad about it, but I do not want him to fall behind because this child can not act right.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:25 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• In her 1st grade class Sorry hit the wrong key.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:26 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I would just assume the school would remove her if it keeps up this year. but should your child end up in the same class you can request a change just like if you didn't like the teacher.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 5:29 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I'm tempted to ask that this one kid not be in my son's class. He gets my son into trouble. My son has autism and will follow whatever another student tells him to do.
    I guess I'll have to settle for luck being on my side

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:42 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Yes, there are two children who will never be placed in the same class as my oldest son. Our school also lets you request that kids be placed together, so I put in a request that my youngest will be in the same first grade class as his best friend from kinder. She's very mellow and sweet and they get along really well.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:58 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Yes, actually I have for a children's sunday school class. My daughter and another girl are both good girls on their own, but together they were just wild and naughty.
    So I told the woman in charge of dividing the classes, and she thanked me and said she really appreciates info like that from the parents to help her sort them well.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 6:40 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• No. But he is enrolled in a private school where behavior like that is not a good fit for tge environment. Usually a child's parent is encoraged this setting is not best suited. They get tge hint.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:07 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Yes, I asked that my daughter not be placed in the same class as her best friend. They are too social and I feared she wouldn't learn well. They will see each other often and can play at recess when play is appropriate. I also asked that my son not be placed with a child that really hurts him emotionally and physically. The school was very good and placed both my children without those two students.
    t3dragonflies

Answer by t3dragonflies at 12:03 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Thank you all for your answers I really thought I would get blasted for this. I am friends with the girl's mother and I feel bad for not wanting my son to be in her daughter's class. I have gone into class a few times as a volunteer though and I have seen first hand the teacher having to take over an hour to try and get this kid to stop acting up and it happens multiple times a day where it takes 20-90 mins to get this kid to act in a way that at is at best not effecting the other students.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:02 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I have requested my son not to be in the same class with a certain boy that bullied him in kindergarten, and the school agreed with me (on my side a little late, but oh well). They get along fine now, but my son needed a break from him for a while.

I would just explain that your son is very distracted by this girl. don't make it about her, make it about your son's needs. You'll get better responses that way. And you don't have to say anything to the mother. The school is not allowed to make comments, so she would never know. no point in hurting her feelings over it. Just keep your focus on your son. Good luck:)
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 3:37 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I agree with boobarandbell, make it about your son's needs and not about this girls behaviour. My son met a boy in his jk class and I was very disapointed to hear that there was only one sk class for the following year. The teacher told me that if I wanted him in a different class then I would have to put him in afternoons and that wouldn't work for our schedule. Thankfully they needed another class because there were so many kids and they were seperated. We're friends with their parent's and apparently their kid was sooooo disapointed that they wern't in the same class. We kept out mouths shut. Going into grade 2 this year and they've not been together since. It was nice because it gave our son time to meet other kids and develop friendships on his own.
    Thankfully we've not had a issue with our dd and any kids we don't want her around to the point of requesting it.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 3:27 PM on Jul. 9, 2011