Recall, to return or not to return?

Okay ladies so I am scrolling through the recall list & of course something of ours is on that list. This item though will be an issue for my little one. Here is the link to it....

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml11/11253.html

We have the fish one & it's hanging on the wall next to the bed. Now I had seen another company/brand that recalled the same thing a while back due to risk of fire. With this in mind we have always been careful with turning this on, only letting it be on for a few mins to watch then it always goes right back off. We've never had an issue with sparks or anything of the sort.

My daughter LOVES her little fish tank. I dont know if I should just return it & let her cry about it, try to find something different but is similar to buy her, or to just continue to keep a close eye on the item. What do you ladies think? What would you do? Thanks.

Mel30248

Asked by Mel30248 at 5:59 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would keep doing what you are doing. Just be careful. The only report are sparks. It should be fine. I would keep it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:13 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I think it is better to be safe than sorry. Will they replace it? or just give you your money back?
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:08 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Better safe than sorry, return it. Your DD will get over it.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 7:52 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Oh yeah the other thing too is there are only 3 reports of sparks but no damage to any property or persons. It makes me curious if these people simply had just a defective one & of course there is always defective items here & there or if they allowed theirs to be on all the time allowing it to overheat. You never know now a days which recalls to take seriously or not that is why I always read what the issue is & how many reports & weigh all of that into the equation.
    Mel30248

Comment by Mel30248 (original poster) at 6:01 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Give money back & it was only like $8 anyway considering how far away our xmas tree shop is now I'm not sure I'd even bother to return them item but just toss it. Better safe then sorry though is a good point here. *sigh* I hope I can find something similar on amazon to order for her.
    Mel30248

Comment by Mel30248 (original poster) at 6:09 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Yeah mompam, that was my thought it said only sparks on it. I may relocate it though bc its right by the bed right now so in case something does happen it dosent catch the bedding or my daughter over bed canopy on fire or something.
    Mel30248

Comment by Mel30248 (original poster) at 6:18 PM on Jul. 7, 2011