19 month old son get's up 3 times a night and is glued to his sippy cup AND wants milk not water in it anymore!!! HELP adult content

Hey ladies!
My 19 month old boy sleep's in his own room but get's up 3 times out of the night. I think it's because he looks for his sippy cup. He used to be okay with water in it but his gpa had him for a weekend and put milk in it at night. And that's what he wants now when he wakes up is milk in his sippy cup. I'm so tired! Please help. Should I shut his door take his sippy cup and if he starts to cry just let him cry it out? HELP HELP HELP!

Thanks!
Shantel

shantelgoetz

Asked by shantelgoetz at 6:01 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That's a tough one. My son also woke up 3 times a night then, but he was happy with a bottle of water. Really try to switch it to water. Good luck to you!!!!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:10 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Only water, milk not good for his teeth. Yes, he decided that was great but you are the mom! Hang in there and tell him only water and let him cry it out. Been there with the 3 times a night but you have to be the hammer if you want some sanity in your life!
    Amr515

Answer by Amr515 at 10:58 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Don't give in momma! It's not worth everybody losing sleep and rotten teeth. Good luck!
    H.I.S.

Answer by H.I.S. at 12:02 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• He willbe upset for the first couple of nights, but you have to stand your ground. He does not NEED to eat in the middle of the night anymore. Explain to him that if he is thirsty he can have some water, but then he needs to go back to sleep and he will get some milk in the morning. He'll try to test his boundaries at first, but if you stick to it, he will learn that mommy is in charge and will accept it after a few nights. GL
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 12:14 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I agree with the others - just say no to the milk. His body and his teeth don't need it. He'll cry but he'll get used to it. And... do you think he even needs he water? At this age, kids can just sleep all night without a drink. I wonder if that habit is making it harder for him to stay asleep all night. I'd try to limit any drinks in bed. He can have a drink before bed (only water after brushing teeth) and in the morning, but at night he just sleeps.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 12:25 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• stop getting him up. there is no reason he can't sleep through the night. the only reason he isn't is because you have allowed it to go on so long. stop giving him a cup to go to bed with. you'll never have him potty trained at night if you don't eliminate that now. i never put my daughter to bed with a bottle or cup of any kind. she has milk after dinner, and nothing more when she finishes it. she sleeps like a champ, because she knows i will not go in there to get her if she cries. she's 22 months. on extremely rare occasions, she will wake in the night, but i just let her cry it out.
    pinkpaisley8709

Answer by pinkpaisley8709 at 11:06 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• First night... went well he fused i rub his back and he cried then fell asleep. Night 2 I'm thinking he'll get up again but o well better then 3 times a night! :) He's getting better :)
    shantelgoetz

Comment by shantelgoetz (original poster) at 5:30 PM on Jul. 11, 2011