How many of you have taught or are teaching your kids how to sew?

I have my 13 year old and 9 year old DSs pinning and cutting out their boxers. Next, they will learn how to use my sewing machine. I have too much fabric and it needs to be used up. I am expecting and am trying to teach them what they will need to know before the baby comes. So far, they seem to be enjoying their projects.

dustbunny

Asked by dustbunny at 6:03 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I taught my seven year old sister to sew.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 6:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I don't really sew, but just today I needed to sew on a button. I showed my 8 year old daughter how. She pushed it through and pulled it put. Then she lost a needle on my bed!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:07 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I bought my daughter her own sewing machine for Christmas a few years ago because i didn't like her abusing mine. She's not much into following rules or patterns, but she knows just enough to goof off and make pillows. She made a whole bunch of different sized pillows before the twins were born, and they were super handy during the infant stage.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:09 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I am teaching my 9 year old daughter to embroider right now and she is really enjoying it. I am getting a sewing machine soon and then I will teach her how to use that too. I taught my brother and my sister to sew when we were kids. My mom and grandma taught me.
    cowboysgirl3227

Answer by cowboysgirl3227 at 6:10 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• My Mom taught me how to sew. I helped her teach my sisters how to sew. I have so much stuff that I need sewn before the baby comes that it isn't funny. The one thing that I hate is to sew patches on my DSs' jeans.
    dustbunny

Comment by dustbunny (original poster) at 7:04 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• My kids love to sew and all of them know how. My older boys have both made quilts and won ribbons at a local quilt show. My younger son has also made a couple quilts and my daughter helped me make her a pillowcase dress. If you have a lot of fabric to use up, this is a great project for kids http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/millionpillowcases/.
    t3dragonflies

Answer by t3dragonflies at 11:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• My DS was forced to take a sewing class in school (the class he wanted was cancelled, and sewing was the only thing left that fit his schedule). But DD started sewing when she was about 7.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 2:02 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• yes basic s
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 1:16 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I have taken 6 years of sewing classes, my kids show no interest in learning.
    CarrieR62

Answer by CarrieR62 at 4:50 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I SO want to do this (no punn intended :0). My eldest DD is 9 and I have 6 and 2 year olds. I'm holding off on teach them to sew, and myself!, to sew with machine until DD3 is 4. I need it to be as free and easy as possible!!! But in the meantime I have taught the eldest to sew and the middle one is now getting started with it too. A great skill to have especially in these days of recycling and reducing. Traditional skills rock! x
    Womamhood

Answer by Womamhood at 5:28 PM on Jul. 10, 2011