What should I do about this? (DD 3yr old)

She KNOWS how to poop in the potty. But today she has pooped twice in her underwear. I am SO angry!! She knows better than this. Should I punish her?

What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:19 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Letting her know you are angry may backfire and make the problem worse. Have her help clean up. Make it an inconvenience, but not a punishment. Don't let on that you are mad. Show empathy instead. Say something like, "Oh, that must feel terrible. How sad for you". Try not to make a big issue out of it.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:34 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Okay...I'll definitely try that. She gets a lot of praise and even stickers when she goes so she even gets super happy about it too. I don't know why she keeps going in her underwear. She's stubborn.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:35 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• No punishing, mama. Kids will have accidents. They are normal even up until age 8 or so. Potty training usually doesn't happen like a definate click. It is two steps forward, one step back.

Just clean her up. Say, calmly, "OOOps. Let's try to remember that poopoo is for the potty." Give her a hug and move on.

There are a lot of resons for the accidents . . . none of them are because they want to be bad. Try to get calm because you will do more damage than good by getting upset with her about it.

Hugs.

ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:37 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• If she's stubborn you definitely don't want to make it a battle. A stubborn kid will do it to prove that they have control. I had one of those. GL!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I won't punish her and I'll try to stay calm. But I know her and she IS stubborn. She knows better. She came to me as soon as she pooped and told me and practically laughed about it. And 2 minutes ago she peed in her underwear too. As she was doing it...she told me.

*deep breath*
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:41 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Being a parent is the most challenging job ever! I know it's hard.

Just don't engage the mistake and start the rewards again.

Sorry mama.

I have one more to train and I am totally not looking forward to it! :)
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:45 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I put my son back in diapers for an hour (if he does it on purpose, accidents are still accidents) and he is so mortified it has stopped. Now when I know he is holding it longer than he should I ask him if he wants to go in diapers and he usually drops everything to head to the potty. I know... I'm totally mean.
    wanderingmuse

Answer by wanderingmuse at 8:48 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• wanderingmuse......i actually did that today. it didn't work :( she's being lazy!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:57 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• ask her why she had the accidents was she scared or upset about something it isn't being lazy kids have accidents my children still have accidents and yes it is flustering but that is part of parenting; do NOT put them back in diapers or pullups it may backfire on you
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:43 AM on Jul. 11, 2011