Preparing Black Beans

I have black bean bushes. I would like to cook with fresh not dried beans. When do I pick them? How do I cook them?

mrs.coop

Asked by mrs.coop at 6:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I would cook them like I would dried, only using a shorter amount of time. You will have to check to see when they are tender. You could throw them in the crock pot with a ham hock or sausage, but just make sure you watch them...
    BryRon

Answer by BryRon at 7:37 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Whoops - as far as WHEN to pick them you need to Google it - I'm just not 100% sure and don't want to tell you wrong.
    BryRon

Answer by BryRon at 7:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I don't know. I would Google it to see when to pick them. Good luck to you.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 7:52 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Believe me I always google things first. I come to forums when google fails me :) I've actually never cooked dried beans before either. I know that you let them dry out on the plant if you want to make dried beans but I can't find anything for fresh beans.
    mrs.coop

Comment by mrs.coop (original poster) at 8:04 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I don't know. I never thought about beans not being dried, I thought they came that way, lol. Of course I also think meat comes from the butcher,
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 6:50 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I beleive you have to let them dry on the bush to cook them. Preparing them before then they are bitter or underdevleoped.
    elijahsmama09

Answer by elijahsmama09 at 8:58 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I have no idea but here's a bump
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 11:51 PM on Jul. 14, 2011