Why are people so fake nowadays?

It's like so hard to find true friends. I had to drop several "friends" once because when I called in an emergency situation and needed their help, they said that they would help and then never showed up. Why even lead people to believe you're going to help if you don't plan to? Especially in an emergency situation, I really don't understand. You should say that you can't help if you don't plan to so that they can continue to look for help instead of waiting on the side of the road for hours. Some were even self-proclaimed "religious" people. I am getting so disgusted with all the fakeness I see. I helped them when they needed help and yet there's no reciprocation. People are so selfish. Ugggh sorry I am just frustrated on why people can't just be honest and upfront.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:05 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Relationships

• I have been in the same situation. It ended our friendship also. I think they lie because they don't have the guts to just say no. There can be a good reason why they can't help at that time, but when they lie it's unacceptable.

I think people are afraid to be real. They think they have to be like everyone else.
    Miller_d

Answer by Miller_d at 8:00 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I think it is a result of this INFORMATION AGE when hardly any of our communications are truly private due to the listening judges. People want to appear pleasant and helpful, yet donot want to be associated with those judged by their problems as losers.
    CoffeeWriter

Answer by CoffeeWriter at 8:49 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I just had a "friend" stop talking to me because I was upfront and honest with her....she obviously didn't want to hear it.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 7:08 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• wow, I'm sorry they did something like that to ya. :( not everyone is fake, give it time and you'll find someone awesome and trustworthy. :)
    iheartsquishies

Answer by iheartsquishies at 7:14 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• It's not "nowadays". It has always been that way. You just have to pick your friends wisely and you have to know someone for more than a few weeks to really consider them your friend.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 7:15 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• That's a shame but not everyone is like that. And anyway, I can understand if something had happened between you but if there's no reason for them not to help you or to lie to you, why do they still do it? I say nothing but good things about my friends and have helped them when they needed help. Ok, yes, I may be guilty of helping to expect help in return someday but isn't that what friendship is for?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:16 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I totally understand what that's like. Most of the people I've had to stop being friends with were like that, which was one of the main reasons. Still have a couple in my life, but keep them at a GREAT distance.
    .MhacFoirfe.

Answer by .MhacFoirfe. at 7:23 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Where is a good place to find good friends then? I guess I might be in the wrong places to find the right people. I like to give everyone a chance and some have even initiated friendship with me but I am continually disappointed when I find out that they do no truly mean it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:36 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• You might want to look more to your family to help in emergencies. True friends are hard to come by.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:56 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I have recently come across this on Cafemom. Someone was not there for me when I had been there for them. I put it down to immaturity.
    lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 9:34 PM on Jul. 7, 2011