For the Atheists: Need to agree?

Christians feel a sort of imperative to convert the non-believers because within their belief system, they consider it to be their obligation, to "save souls" and so on.

Athiets: Do you also have an imperative to convert others; to convince the Christians that you are right and they are wrong?

Or does their belief give them something worthwhile in their lives, for them, that you respect as useful to them, for them, and they should be left to believe whatever they want, even if you feel they are ignorant to the "truth".

judimary

Asked by judimary at 7:09 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Athiets: Do you also have an imperative to convert others; to convince the Christians that you are right and they are wrong?

I view religion as a disease that does more harm than good. So yes, I think it's my personal obligation to convert believers to Atheism.

I feel it negatively affects how they view themselves, their fellow man and the world in general. If they believed in their own inner strength and goodness, religion and god wouldn't be necessary.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:21 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I don't need to convert anyone...that is the lowest thing on my priority list of things in my life. However, I do feel the need to correct the misguided ideas that atheists are satanists, evil, without morals or simply "unhappy".
    I feel that my beliefs are right for me and me only. I would never be so bold and arrogant to suggest that they MUST convert to my beliefs in order to be happy and have morals.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:48 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I don't feel the need to "convert", but I do often wish that we could get away from the perceived need for religion. While I see that it does bring a level of comfort to many, I think when it seeps into public policy, education or civil issues it's gone beyond serving the spiritual needs of the individual. If it thwarts our ability to move ahead in science, for example, I find myself struggling to think kindly on religion. Even so, I have never tried to "convert" anyone in real life, although I will argue in favor of Atheism in a forum like this, and speak up in defense of myself and other Atheists when I feel we're misunderstood or are being denied equal treatment.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 7:52 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I have no need to convert anyone. I do find a need to remind them that I am just as happy as they are without a god though. I am not looking to be converted. Just looking for some nice people to chat with.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I have no wish or desire to convert Christians or other non-atheists. However if they are going to choose to be ignorant of what I believe or make false assertations of why I believe differently than they do, I will take the time to "correct" them.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I feel an imperative to remind them that while they are free not to be in a gay marriage, to not work on Sundays, to not have premarital sex, or follow whatever other dictates their beliefs require of them, those practices should not be legislated onto those who don't share their viewpoint.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 9:25 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Not all christians feel the need to convert.

As for your question no I do not feel the need to stop people from having faith. I just feel the need to show us non christians are not evil misguided children who are tools for the devil. Which some (few christians) even on this board believe.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 7:22 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Why would I want to commit myself to such a herculean task?   I would waste time and energy and gain nothing.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:56 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I have no desire to convert. To me, religion is a very personal belief. I never claim to know what the absolute truth about religion. I could be completely wrong, but my beliefs are what make the most sense to me.

I was a Christian for many years and understand the appeal of it. To each their own.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 9:03 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I feel no need to convert anyone.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 7:22 PM on Jul. 7, 2011