Gestational diabetes / early baby?

I just got a call that I may have GD, I have to go in next week for a 3 hr test. I know a lot of concern is placed on baby's size due to GD, so I'm wondering how many of you ended up having babies early (being induced for them) because your doc was worried about the baby getting too big.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:43 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I had GD and was warned by my OB that my baby might be on the big side. on one of my last US they thought she was going to be over 8lbs. I was already scheduled for a c-section (one week before my due date) cuz she was breech. I ended up going into labor a day before my c-section and she ended up weighing 7lbs 10oz. if you do end up having GD you'll end up going to see an endocrinologist who will probably put you on a strict diet and have you check your blood sugars daily. as long as you follow your doc's instructions you and baby should be fine. GL
    mmsfirstone

Answer by mmsfirstone at 7:48 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• A "big" baby is not usually any problem, unless mom is having a non-normal birth (interventions, tethering)...
    Many women do consent to intervening although this does tend to add risks, so inducing for the fear of the POSSIBILITY of a "big" baby happens frequently.

You might even ask now about how to have a healthy(ier) pregnancy and simply avoid that test.

Best wishes!
    :-)

doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:55 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• bump

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 8:43 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I had GD and they were planning on inducing me 1 week early I believe. I ended up with a C-section due to high blood pressure 2 weeks early. He was 7lb 14 oz at 38 weeks so average size.
    KJohnson4762

Answer by KJohnson4762 at 8:29 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I didnt have GD but my daughter was 9 lbs 1 oz at birth. This time I had an ultrasound at 36 weeks and they told me that my son weighed 7 lbs 10 oz. That was 2 weeks ago. They plan to let me go until after my due date because I have no complications except that he might be a big baby. So I guess we'll. Also any guesses that they make about baby's size can be off by 20% or up to 2 lbs. Thats what my doc told me when I asked last week. I wouldnt worry to much if you follow instructions and eat healthy.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 8:52 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I had it and they induced at 38 weeks. They thought that she would be well over 9 lbs. She was 7 lb 5 oz and was hospitilized for 8 days because of breathing issues. She was not ready. I will NEVER induce for that reason again. I was naive because I didn't know that measurements could be that far off.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:19 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• With most (if not all), my results always come back a few points high on the blood test. Each time, I went in for the 3 hour GTT (Glucose Tolerance Test) and the results were fine. Most of my babies were about 8.5 lbs; one was 9lbs 14oz. We are expecting #8 in September, same thing has happened...few points high on blood test. I am scheduling 3 hour GTT within a week or 2.

I very much agree with Jademom07; measurements can be OFF. Ultrasounds are known to be off in the last trimester...I have seen up to a 2+ lb. difference just in my small circle of friends/acquaintances. Hope it all turns out fine. I would definitely not be too worried until you do your 3 hour GTT. If it is abnormal ~ they will want you to change your diet and watch sugars and carbs.
    7blessings

Answer by 7blessings at 11:16 PM on Jul. 7, 2011