Is it safe to have an occasional glass of wine if you are nursing?

I'm currently expecting and have stopped drinking my semi-weekly glass of wine during dinner since I got pregnant. I'm wondering if I may start drinking wine with dinner after she's born during the months I'm nursing her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:37 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• One glass occasionally won't hurt, but def not regularly, but then wait a few hours to nurse, or pump and dump. I have only had to drinks since my dd was born 5 1/2 months ago.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:38 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• You may want to avoid it at first if you plan on nursing on demand, since newborns tend to want to nurse very frequently. But by the time nursing is predictable, you can enjoy a drink from time to time. You can time it so that you have a couple of hours between when you finish the drink and when you nurse again. Or you can pump milk ahead of time and feed baby with a bottle of breatmilk while you have your wine.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 7:40 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• No need to pump and dump, by the way, unless you are going so long without nursing that you need to prevent/relieve engorgement. The rule of thumb is if you feel it, don't feed it. As soon as you are sober, your milk is sober/clean, too.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 7:41 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I'd give it a few hours to clear your system before nursing again. We all metabolize things differently, so trying to follow any timeline really doesn't work. Also keep in mind that a "glass" of wine is typically a lot less wine than most people think it is, as most wine glasses will hold at least two servings, if not more! :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 7:45 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• There are test strips you can buy to test your breastmilk for alcohol. Just an FYI. :-)
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 7:53 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Yes, you can have a glass of wine, no, you do not need to wait for ONE GLASS.

If you get sloshed, then wait till you're sober.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:59 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• No, I dont think it a good idea however if you are okay with it then thats all that matters!
    porterjoshua06

Answer by porterjoshua06 at 9:31 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• As an alternative, drinking an occasional beer has actually been proven to be a helpful galactalogue (breast-milk stimulator). If you are going to drink once in a while, that might be a better choice given that it can actually help your milk production. Otherwise, like BlueFrogMama said, if you can feel the effects of your wine, dont feed your baby breastmilk. Good luck, and happy nursing!
    littlejreece

Answer by littlejreece at 3:29 AM on Dec. 18, 2008