Is there anything to do to prepare for breastfeeding?

I'm expecting my 2nd child...I was unable to get my first son to latch on, but successfully pumped for about 2 months. Is there anything that I should be doing to prepare for breastfeeding this time? Last time, I figured it'd be so natural that I didn't have to worry about it...but I was wrong since it didn't work out!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:00 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try to go to LLL meetings BEFORE delivery, and after. Get a support group. Nurse early, and OFTEN. Know that it's normal in the early days/weeks to be nursing 20+ hours a day. The best thing you can do is educate yourself. Yes, there ARE some women who physically can't nurse, but it's something like 1-2% of the WORLD's population. Go into it with a positive attitude. Read, read, read. Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. Come by the Breastfeeding Moms group. Ask us any questions you might have. Know that even if you run into an obstacle, you can likely overcome it, IF you WANT to. Try to avoid bottles and paci's at least in the beginning, as they can interfere with latch and with supply. There's probably more but not thinking properly. Ask me anything though. And if you need help, make sure to see an IBCLC or LLL leader over a regular LC. IBCLC's are board certified.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:04 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• It is a wives tale that you need to toughen up your nipples! go to La Leche, buy The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding and find an IBCLC in your area in case you do need help. My son took about 4 weeks to successfully latch, most problems CAN be overcome--the trick is finding the right help.
    LittleManMama

Answer by LittleManMama at 8:48 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Take a class if there is a reasonable one near you (here they wanted $100 for it!) and look up a good consultant in your area in case you hit a rough patch. Read up on http://www.kellymom.com/  Ther eis  a WORLD of information there!!

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• some women just cant do it. Theres nothing much you can prepare ahead of time. Just of course eating well, not spicy foods lots of garlic and such.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 8:03 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• eating right and relaxing helped me with my second .....my first was hard but I was determined and stress out ...so after talking to my doctor he gave my the best advice and that was to simply RELAX..........hope this will work for you...gl
    lovevlj31

Answer by lovevlj31 at 8:33 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Read about it, go to a class, I was told to use some breast cream on them for the last few weeks. Just be careful with that it will stain your bra. When it comes time. Be very patient. I took 4 weeks to figure it out with my first and the second worked right away. I think alot has to do with the stress and unknown. Also, people that you can talk to that have been thought it for tips. Get the nurses to help in the hospital and you can even try the lacation consultants. Personally I found the nurses more helpful. Don't give up right away. Give you and your baby a good 6 weeks!
    Amr515

Answer by Amr515 at 8:43 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I wish someone would have told me that it's normal for the little bean to feed about 20 hrs out of the day... lol! Good luck momma
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 8:51 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Pull down your bra over your nipples so that your shirt
    fabric can toughen the nipples up for the pressure of nursing.
    CoffeeWriter

Answer by CoffeeWriter at 8:30 PM on Jul. 7, 2011