Has anyone gone through Invitro??

I am planning on donating my eggs to a friend of mine who had a hysterectomy a few years ago. She is getting her sister to carry the baby, but using my eggs. I recently had a hysterectomy myself, but the doctor left my ovaries so I can donate my eggs. I was just wondering, if anyone has had the proceedure, what should I expect??? Not that it matters, but I'm only 23.

lostinthechaos

Asked by lostinthechaos at 7:41 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• I haven't done it, but I did do other fertility treatments and did discuss it with my doctor. It is my understanding that you will have to take injectible fertility drugs so you will produce a lot of eggs that cycle, and you will be monitored closely to determine when the eggs need to be harvested. I'm not clear on exactly how they go about removing the eggs, but I am thinking it is a minor surgical procedure. The eggs will be combined with the sperm and some or all of them will be transfered to your friend's sister at some point. I think you and your friend's sister will have to be sychronized so she is ready to accept the embryos when they are ready. The doctor may also require some testing before you start. I expect you will also be required to sign some sort of consent forms. This is a very nice thing you are doing for your friend!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:50 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• When I had my hyst, they were able to leave on of my ovaries so that I would not go into menopause and I could have a surrogate. After 3 years, I had an ovarian torsion, it basically twisted up and ruptured. So if you are planning on using your eggs for yourself or anyone else, I would suggest harvesting some of your eggs. I NEVER thought my ovary would go so soon. I had heard about 15-20 years. Good luck!
    Aubreemom04

Answer by Aubreemom04 at 2:15 PM on Dec. 22, 2008