How did you get your child to sleep alone at night?

My son sleeps with me currently, but I think that when he turns one I'm going to try to put him in his own bed. I need some tips b/c I'm a first time mom, and I think I give in to him a little bit too much.

ammienem

Asked by ammienem at 8:13 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I let her cry it out each night. I would be on pins and needles but it had to be done. It worked too. I started at 10 minutes the first night. I would then go in an soothe and let her go again. I would add some time each night and by the end of the first week things improved and two weeks out we were golden. Just be consistant. Its ok for you to cry while they are crying but its better than having an older child sleeping with you.
    Amr515

Answer by Amr515 at 8:37 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I used to rock my babies to sleep and then lay them in their cribs. When they were older, I read them a story and helped them say their nightime prayers before they went to sleep in their beds.
    CoffeeWriter

Answer by CoffeeWriter at 8:16 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I wouldn't have put him in bed with me in the first place. That's a hard habit to break.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 8:35 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• My son was in his own bed from birth

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:15 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• My DD has been sleeping in her room alone since she was 2 months old. At first it was a bit hard, she would cry between 30-40 minutes before falling asleep, but after about a week it went down to 10-15, and now she falls asleep within minutes.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 8:23 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• we did a cio for a few nights
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 8:25 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• my DD was in her own bed from birth too.
    mmsfirstone

Answer by mmsfirstone at 8:37 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I wish I had an answer for you but I'm in the same boat right now. Alternatives to CIO are Dr Jay Gordon has good advice, also the No Cry Sleep Solution.
    LittleManMama

Answer by LittleManMama at 8:42 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Never had a problem, they were in their own bed (crib) from the day they came home.
    Anonymous

• just start, some parents don't believe in the CIO method, but it's important to get going on that now, otherwise their be in your bed till their 5 or longer.
    good luck!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 9:43 AM on Jul. 8, 2011