Is it routine now days to get a mammogram at 30?

My best fiend just went to the doc for stomach pain and her doc wants her to get a complete physical and part of the physical is a mammogram. She is only 30. I have never heard of anyone getting one that young without some kind of symptom indicating the need for one.

I will say that she has very large breasts, so she was thinking that maybe that was part of the reason.

Any ideas?

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 8:52 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Health

• I've had yearly mammograms since I was 22- it's a precautionary thing on my part as my aunty died at 32 of breast cancer (So the rule with my doctor is to start getting checked at an age that is 10 years younger than the person who passed on in your family) at 30 it might not be the flattening mamomgram they use an ultrasound machine on mine because the younger you are the more dense the tissue is.. (although i had the flattening one once and yikes! LOL), the doctor is probably just making sure its not something else :)
    RigPrincess85

Answer by RigPrincess85 at 9:11 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• but I havent heard of it being something routine at 30, maybe thats something that doctor likes to start younger?
    RigPrincess85

Answer by RigPrincess85 at 9:13 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I am now 34 and have not had one as of yet. There is no history of it in my family and my doc says that I will not get one until I'm 40 unless he feels something abnormal at my yearly.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:14 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Not that I know of. I'm 31 and have never been told i need one. My grandma had breast cancer, but not until her 80's. It was fairly recently. I may ask at my next appointment if that will change when i need to start getting them.
    Trinity001

Answer by Trinity001 at 10:02 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I think it's in your 40's, earlier if breast cancer has been in the family.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 10:36 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• H.I.S.

Answer by H.I.S. at 11:55 PM on Jul. 7, 2011