What is an effective treatment for cystic jawline acne?

I am in my early 30s and have had cystic acne mostly around my jawline and one side of my cheek for about 6-7 years. I've tried birth control pills that are supposed to help acne, Proactive, Acne Free, Benzoyl peroxide, Salicylic acide, masks, warm compresses and professional chemical peels. Jawline acne is supposed to be hormonally-based but I can't figure out an effective longterm treatment. What have you used that seems to work well for cystic acne? This could include diet, home remedies and supplements. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Health

• It's hereditary, and I found that diet helped a little as well.
    Dairy was a big factor in it since has so many hormones in it. So I cut a lot of it out of my diet. There are other ways of getting calcium through other foods. I cut back on cheese, milk, got butter out of my diet completely and substitute with olive oil when recipes call for butter. It helped.
    I hope this has helped answer some questions. If you have any more please fill free to message me.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 10:35 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I have horrible cystic acne, I got it cleared up on my jaw line but my back/shoulders are horribly scarred from it.
    I tried sooo many different products, pills and what not.
    What actually ended up helping was just plain hot water and soap.
    Also, the ONE medication that really showed results was this cream I used called Retin A Micro. I'm not sure if they still prescribe it, I stopped using it when I turned 19 because I ran out and lost health insurance and it had cleared it all up and I haven't have any form on my jaw since, I've had some on my back but not as many and as often. But that Retin A Micro was a life savor. It has to be the Micro. There were two versions of it, Retin A, and then Retin A Micro. Go for the Micro if they still prescribe it.
    Also, my cousin has it and he went to the Mayo Clinic in MN and did everything and nothing has worked for him. (Not sure if he tried Retin A but I suggested it)
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 10:32 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• This helped me so much! Good luck!

H.I.S.

Answer by H.I.S. at 11:53 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• My dermatologist put me on ACUTANE. It worked miracles but there were a lot of side effects & you CANNOT get pregnant when you take it. It cleared mine up forever.
    jenni_j

Answer by jenni_j at 11:57 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I'm 40 and have been on accutane five times because the cystic acne always came back. Finally, at 40, what I quit is dairy. Dairy is awful for acne for me. Try switching to almond milk, rice milk, etc. Do it for at least six to eight weeks (two period cycles) and see if you don't notice a huge difference. Also, accutane gave me rosacea. And you don't want that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Isn't Accutane recalled and involved in some class action lawsuit?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:10 AM on Jul. 8, 2011