Favourite "poor mans" meal?

Growing up our family didn't have alot of money but my parents always made sure that my brother and I ate well, while they would have like a pb and j sandwhich (which of course I never knew about till I was older). Anyways I remember at one point we were hit pretty hard and my mom used to make this meal of boiled potatoes and cottage cheese and a little bit of butter... it sounds not so great but it's really yummy and still to this day I eat it lol.

Do any of y'all have a fave "poor man's" meal?

RigPrincess85

Asked by RigPrincess85 at 9:37 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Food & Drink

• My hubby LOVES speggetti. Not cause its cheap...just cause its his favorite. And my 6yr old son loves Lasagna (my fav too)....so I guess we just like the poor man stuff...LOL
    mlmkjw

Answer by mlmkjw at 9:39 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• My mom used to make a "Tuna Gunk" that was probably a poor man's dinner back then, but Tuna is no longer cheap! Also, while I loved it as a child, it would probably gross me out now with all the salt. It was a can of tuna and a can of cream soup - probably mushroom - heated and poured over saltine crackers, then topped with crushed potato chips and toasted in the oven. Wow, I loved that. Sometimes she added a bag of frozen peas. We often had that at lunch. My dad was a protestant minister back in the days when they weren't paid very much. When my brothers were little, before I came along, he was paid $3000 a year! If he didn't have good luck hunting and fishing, they ate PB without the J.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 9:41 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• My husbands fav is pork n beans lol mine probably spagetti.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 9:53 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Tuna casserole, stuffed shells, pasta alfredo (sauce from jar), enchilads...... I call these foods comfort foods rather then poor mans food & its what we basically eat yum!!!
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 9:54 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Hot dogs and mac and cheese
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 9:56 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Home sliced potatoes fried up in a skillet with ketchup--can be a meal when you have no meat.
    CoffeeWriter

Answer by CoffeeWriter at 9:57 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• baked beans, mixed with ketchup, mustard, peeperoni slices and hot dogs, one big pot last 2 to 3 days
    2aremine

Answer by 2aremine at 10:04 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Red beans and rice is still my favorite poor man meal (no meat in it of course). We were poor too when I was young. Mom would make potato sandwiches often and every now and then I want one. Not too long ago I asked Mom for my bday to make me okra gumbo the way she did when I was little. She laughted at me and said she only made it like that when she didn't have meat.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 10:15 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• When I was younger, the "poor man's" meal my mother used to make was soup beans. Basically, dried beans cooked in water with a ham bone thrown in for some flavor. We used to eat it with ketchup.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 10:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• We had a tuna , cream of chicken soup and white rice casserole when I was a kid. Or a baked potato and a slice of Spam. (YEs,that canned ham thing called Spam) Or hamburger and elbow noodles in tomato sauce or spanish rice, with hamburger and catchup and onions. My Mom could make the cheapest meals. We were a skinny bunch. LOL.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:00 PM on Jul. 7, 2011