Packing

So we go to other places to spend the night sometimes upwards of a week kind of often. It will never cest to amaze me how much it really takes when you have a small child! We are leaving tomorrow morning to visit family five hours away, we're staying in a hotel until sunday when we'll come home. Try as I might I cant seem to condense down what we have! My daughter is 3 1/2 years old & very active so zoneing out to tv or a video game will simply not do for any length of time!

I've got....
1 bag = her clothing, my clothing, rainboots (yes forecast for rain), sneakers, bathroom stuff
1 bag = diapers, wipes, medicines
1 bag = books (she loves to read & its a comfort thing for her) its a canvas tote bag though
1 suitcase = toys, etc (yes toys is a must for the ride & at the hotel room & all other places!) its a sm kids suitcase with wheels
1 bag = food & drinks
1 cooler = food & drinks (we'll be buying meals mostly but my daughter & I will snack & eat through out the entire weekend)
1 backpack = electronis such as laptop, portable dvd player, dvds, etc.

In addition to this she will carry her pillow, blankie & two stuffed animals that she has to have to sleep. *whew* Try as I might cant get everything into less then that! Lets just hope we will be comfortable in the vehicle! We're in a car my father will drive & his girlfriend will be in the passenger seat. My daughter & I will be in the back! I will put the suitcase with toys in the middle (hope this works!), blankie will go on top (pillow will get shoved in the truck!), under her feet on the floor will go the cooler & next to that on the floor will be the electronics bag, next to that books again its five hours & my dad wont be stopping but only a couple of times so I need to get to stuff!

Am I the only one who needs to hvae this much crap when traveling with a 3yo!?!?!?!?! Its like this every time we are somewhere for more then just one night! Anyway, hope you all have a good weekend too =) we're going to get to see all the family we never get to see!

Mel30248

Asked by Mel30248 at 9:42 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Travel

• Yes, kids come with so much stuff! We frequently take road trips to California, and we've gotten really good at packing. I keep doubles of all of our bathroom items like soaps, my flat iron, etc, so the little duffel is always packed for that. Since the kids have grown, we don't all fit into our old suitcase, so just two weeks ago, I bought a new GIANT one that I could move bodies in, LOL. We also take a collapsible hamper that we take my youngest son's blankets in, then fill up with the dirty clothes to make it easier coming home.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Yup. My family makes several trips a year to MI from TN. Its around a 9 hour trip. And, we have a 9yr old, a 6yr old, and an almost 2yr old. Even with a big Durango...we run out of room!!!

Have fun, and stretch as much as you can!
    mlmkjw

Answer by mlmkjw at 9:45 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Yeah I have a 3.5 year old also and when we travel its similar to you however I cull the toys and books, she would probably have 1 bag for both, and she is potty trained so we dont have a diaper bag. She is an outdoor girl and loves to play outdoors, so she would be choosing a couple of fav toys and books and thats about it, but it is amazing how much you need when you have a child! crazy! lol Have a great time!
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 9:59 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• It like you have everything covered. I am the huge fan of over packing. Even for a weekend, you would think I was moving. :-) Have a great time !! I did find something I love. At Sams' Club they have a cooler/tote backpacks. It is perfect for traveling......
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 10:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I'm glad to see that I am not the only one who always has so much stuff to bring! I wish I could put toys & books into one bag however, she reads so much. We have over 400books here at home & she reads most days at least half of them, she loves to read. If she is upset or needs comfort she will hit the books so if we go somewhere liek we are this weekend far from home in a completely different setting I bring a whole bag of books (maybe 20) of her fave ones! I then bring toys like her princesses, she always has to have her carebear figures, then she likes her explorer stuff mag glass, kids camera, binoculars, & a music instrument hermonica! I stuffed in some ponies too just in case five hours is a long time! haha But she will play with all those toys oh & her trains which she will no doubt line up at the hotel room! We will have fun! Wish we had more time there though! Another trip I guess!
    Mel30248

Comment by Mel30248 (original poster) at 10:23 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• OH NO I am talking to my grandmother online right now & I totally forgot she has things to send back with me! An entire set of christmas dishware haha hope there will be room in the car for it!
    Mel30248

Comment by Mel30248 (original poster) at 10:25 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Sounds normal to me. But it always seem you end up coming home with more than you went with. Have fun.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 11:54 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Guess I'm in the minority here. When we go places each kid gets one duffle bag. If it doesn't fit, it doesn't go. I only take enough diapers,etc. for the trip. I buy what I need when I get there.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 8:54 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• bubbles!!! i work with kids and its a daily part of our routine, we hold them to the fan and the fan blows them out they love to chase them, plus you dont get dizzy using a fan haha.
    JacobsMommy1107

Answer by JacobsMommy1107 at 10:51 AM on Jul. 11, 2011