How can I get my son who will be 6 drink more water?

He does not like water, cant say I blame him. Im not a fan of it either, but he needs it for his teeth. His bacteria in his mouth does not fight the plaque off his teeth so I need all the help I can get to keep his teeth strong. I just bought koolaid sugar free singles, not knowing they have artifical sweetners. I am looking for a brand of water that makes flavored water without artifical sweetners. Does anyone know of any? Or anything I can use to make it taste better?

nikkm0113

Asked by nikkm0113 at 9:44 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think everything has some kind of sweetener, but try a whole foods or spouts type food place they may have something!
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 9:47 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• At my house the kids have an allotment of what they drink each day. 2 cups of milks and one cup of some 'other' drink after that it is water. They have their own character water bottles int he fridge that they have all day access to. Cutting them off from other drinks and giving them control of the water really helped.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:48 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• When my kids were little I bought those water things that you see at offices around town. My kids loved it! They taste great and kids love it.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 9:48 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• ty!!! I will try that. My son does not get soda. He gets 100% juice but I mis half water and juice. I just want him to get more water.
    nikkm0113

Comment by nikkm0113 (original poster) at 9:49 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Plain water tastes wonderful! If you have city water with a bad taste, get a filtering system. Brita makes a pitcher and filter system that you can use affordably - it's what I'm using now. I lived in the country for many years, and cannot stand the flavor of our city water, or that it comes out of the faucet as yellow as urine.
    Ways to make water more interesting: buy him a special water glass or jug that he likes. Chill the water. You can sometimes buy carbonated plain water, or carbonated unsweetened water like "La Croix" that comes in raspberry, lemon and orange flavors. You can add a wedge of lemon or lime or orange to plain cold water. You can freeze cute things in water in the ice cube tray - like tiny plastic spiders! You can teach him all about the health benefits of water. Let him play with water a lot - in a backyard splash pool - supervised, of course. You must also drink lots of water enthusiastically.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 9:49 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Do you have a water filter? A lot of the off putting taste might be fixed by getting a water filter or try herbal teas. Celestrial Seasons makes many teas that are caffeine free, contain a lot of vitamins and minerals, and are sugar free or contain natural sweeteners like honey. Also try using fruit juices like lemon, orange, or lime to add flavor to the water.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 9:49 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• cold water is usually easier when kids donĀ“t like water...
    Belovedmoonpixi

Answer by Belovedmoonpixi at 9:51 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Try lemon, and buy a cool special sports bottle. You can also try a straw. Even a fancy one. I don't like water either but I leave out in a cup with a sraw and just suck it down.
    Amr515

Answer by Amr515 at 9:52 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• A small water cooler might help. I have seen them at Walmart and other stores- I believe Cabelas and Gander Mountain....
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 9:53 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I never considered that. We only drink filtered water- I don't like the taste of tap... Maybe try that!! Adn it is true- cold water is much better.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:55 PM on Jul. 7, 2011