How long to ground a 3 yr old

my son hoped his baby gate last night and got in to EVERY THING, so this morning i took away his tv and he is not getting it back. but, this sleeping thing is becoming a real problem i have tried latter bed times no naps no juice after dinner running out steam i'm at my ends. how long should i keep the tv and how do i get him to go to sleep at bed time.

Manda_Evans

Asked by Manda_Evans at 10:16 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It is a phase. Try taking him to the park for some fresh air,that works! Grounding a 3 y/o for not going to bed? Seriously? If he is outside in this beautiful weather I'm sure he will sleep!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:20 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• why does he havea tv in his room? Just put him to bed and let him cry to sleep I wouldn't even let my kids have a tv in there room it isn't fun time when it is bed time. YOu kinda brought this on yourself, maybe less tv time and more mommy time and teaching him would help you out. We don't ground we do time outs and they work..
    Anonymous

• A day
    sweety678

Answer by sweety678 at 10:23 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Grounding a 3 year old won't work. Put him in time out for 3 minutes but grounding/things away at this point is too above his age to comprehend. It won't be easy getting him on a sleep schedule. Trust me! It will take lots of tears from him and you as well. Start a routine. Any routine and adhere to it each night. We do bath, snack, book and then lights out. You may have to carry him back to his bed over and over again for a few days, but you gotta stick with it. Hugs to you and good luck.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 10:25 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I am pretty sure he doesn't even remember that he made the mess... he's three.
    I wouldn't let him have the TV back at all. We are a family of 4 and have one TV in the living room. I would also check out what the bedtime routine is like. Is it the same every night. Is he in charge of it? Are you repetative about bedtime? We use to play a CD everynight for my DD since the day she was born. When she was 18 months old, she was running down the hallway, dancing around to music, the radio started to play the first song on the CD... she stopped dead in her tracks and went to bed. The routine made it a habit,,,, if that song is playing I need to be in bed.... it was kind of funny.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 10:29 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Personally I think tvs take a toll on a kids (or anyones) sleep. With that said... to get your kid to go to sleep you must have a routine of some sort. I read to mine and I don't give him drinks like 2 hours before bed because he will wet the bed even with a pull up on.

ohgoshism

Answer by ohgoshism at 10:30 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Cant really ground a 3 yo I dont think they really get it because they dont have the attention span for it. Take his fav thing away for a day but put it somewhere it can be seen but not reached to serve as a reminder...
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 10:34 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• we do read and the tv is for sound he doesn't really watch it. we do read. and as a family of 4 we have 3 tvs.
    Manda_Evans

Comment by Manda_Evans (original poster) at 10:51 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• he's three, you don't ground you do time outs.. 1 minute per age..

as for getting out of his room.. well you have to teach him his boundries.. if you have to, sit outside his room for the first few nights. every time he gets out of his room, put him back in bed.. don't say a word, no scolding, no yelling, just calmly do it until he goes to sleep..

if you don't set boundries you can't expect him to understand he's not suppose to do something, you have to show him properly what's expected of him.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:11 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• You don't ground a 3 year old, they will forget what they did after about 10 minutes. Try time outs instead. For no more than 5 minutes. It's usually 1 minute per age.

There is nothing wrong with him having a tv in his room. My son did and it was never a problem. There were nights that it helped him fall asleep. And it helped me, I didn't have to watch Barney and Blues Clues all the time. Find out WHY he is climbing the gate and not sleeping. A routine will help. Snack, bath, story, potty, bed. When he gets out of his room, take him back without saying anything. Keep doing it and eventually he will stay in his room. Children need to be taught or shown appropriate behaviors they aren't little adults that automatically know what to do. As for the mess, have him help you clean it up. Explain that when someone makes a mess they have to help clean it up.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:39 PM on Jul. 7, 2011