How did your half day kindergartener adjust to going full day 1st grade?

My son is going to be starting 1st grade in a month. He went half day kinder and half day preschool twice a week. I am worried about him adjusting to being away so long.

IamtheHeffer

Asked by IamtheHeffer at 10:24 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My oldest did fine except for arrival time. He had been in the afternoon kindergarten so the whole thing was new to him. The halls were busy rather than most kids in a class and quiet, people were coming in and out of breakfast, they aren't allowed in the classroom right away, everyone walks laps for a bit, etc. Once he adjusted to that he was fine. :) Our second will start 1st in the fall and I had her attend a.m. kindergarten just to avoid a replay of this. LOL
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 10:37 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• She was just fine. By the we got to 1st grade she had 3 years of part-time school (1 yr being 5 days a week of course) under her belt. The first week she came home tired and missing the shorter schedule, but frankly, the first week of school my 3rd grader came home the same way. ;) Once they got back into the groove of a school year they were both fine.

First grade teachers with kids coming in from 1/2 day K understand the change their students are going through and they work to help the kids adjust. The first week or so of school DD's teacher did a great job at balancing their day to load breaks of playground time, running/walking the track and games until the kids were settled into the new schedule.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 7:13 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• My son is a stage 5 clinger. I put him in full day pre-k 5 days a week and he was fine. He loved it. Don't be nervous in front of your child because he'll sense it and get nervous about it too. Talk it up as much as you can and let him know how exciting it will be to have friends in class with him all day, and how awesome it is that he can spend all that time learning new things.
    luvohmommy

Answer by luvohmommy at 1:46 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I teach first grade and we have full day and half day kindergarten classes. Some of the half day kids do have a little adjusting, but it's usually not too bad. It's mostly them just asking when it's time to go home because they aren't used to being at school all day. Once the kids get to know the routine they usually do just fine.
    Sillieguze

Answer by Sillieguze at 3:57 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• thank you all for your answers...I really apperciate the input
    IamtheHeffer

Comment by IamtheHeffer (original poster) at 9:27 PM on Jul. 15, 2011