How can I get My Six year old son to love reading

He likes to read books that he knows, however when it comes to reading new words, he becomes frustrated and no longer wants to read.

All advise welcomed.

Malka Yehuda

malkayehuda

Asked by malkayehuda at 10:25 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• What's his favorite thing? Find books on it. Let him pick out some. Also look into series books.
    Amr515

Answer by Amr515 at 10:28 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I think it's just a age thing my 6yo DS does the same thing I just sit with him and help him sound the word out and offer LOTS of praise. Good Luck :)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 10:28 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• My son Never liked to sit still and read until he came across this book in 3rd grade! NOW he reads daily! He cant put the books down! ITS AMAZING! check this book out on reviews..hope this helps!Big Nate: In a Class by HimselfThe Creator of big nate is this book Diary of a Wimpy Kid Box of Books
    josie726

Answer by josie726 at 10:30 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• where I live they have a great summer reading program at the library. ask the childrens librarian for tips and age appropriate reading material. He may be overwhelmed by the level of books he is reading. I remember when I was little my dad bought me a book that was too advanced for me. I couldnt comprehend what I was reading b/c the words where too hard for me. He was disappointed in me, I still have that dang book and that was about 30 yrs ago! lol. good luck
    Anonymous

• my child started to read Diary of a Wimpy Kid Box of Books
    and now loves reading all his editions..From a child that NEVER sat still to read to a child that cannot put down this book!
    josie726

Answer by josie726 at 10:31 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Get him some graphic novels. They are now making them in all genres for kids. They are great for reluctant readers because it engages the kid with both pictures and text at the same time. They really help kids learn want to read.

My husband wrote a reference book about graphic novels for kids and he suggests these for a 6 yr old boy...

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Ask the your local librarian where to find them in your library. Also...my MIl has been a librarian for 30+ years and her specialty is getting kids to read. Her advice is always to find something you kid LOVES. Even the most reluctant reader will read a book they are interested in. Your juob is to keep trying different  books until he finds some.

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:16 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• ok do not be mad but this advice actually comes from my 11 year old dd. she says that in her fifth grade class the teacher ued comic books not just graphic novels to get the boys like that. i agree as we do this with my six year old son and nine year old son. some times books can be intimadating in thier size i think. so with a comic there is only so much story and if he is anything like my sons and loves like the green lantern series is what my nine year old is reading. they also have disney related ones. i have baught some for my three year old. hope this helps:)
    4g4b

Answer by 4g4b at 9:13 PM on Jul. 8, 2011