Would you vote for someone you don't agree with policy-wise, if they did something to help you?

I don't mean kickbacks or favors - something that's legitimately part of their job, like writing a recommendation letter to a school or interceding with a government agency like the VA or IRS. Should they expect someone to vote for them simply because they do one of these "constituent specific" jobs for them?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 10:29 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• No
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 10:35 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I think ALL politicians are bad and corrupt so I vote for the one I feel to be the least corrupt. If I feel mostly their intentions are good they get my vote....all depends on their actions...so I would say yes I would.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 10:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• NO
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 10:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I think it's a resonalbe expectation but I don't think a voter is obligated too. They should do those things because they are (in many cases) the right thing to do.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 10:47 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• That's why we vote im secret...no one can look over your shoulder and make you vote for them when you're actually at the booth, no matter what they expect.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 10:58 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• No, absolutely not! Years ago, our Senator, Senator Hatfield helped me out in a very serious situation, because I wrote and asked for his help. As MY Senator, he DID intervene and it did help. But, when it came time for re-election I didn't vote for him because I didn't feel he was right for our State. As a public official, voted into office, it IS their job to be there for the people of the state as a whole, regardless of political affiliation. This is not to say I wasn't grateful, or I didn't acknowledge him, I did and will always be grateful. I don't vote for favors recieved from an official because it isn't a favor, it's a politicians obligation.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 11:09 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• No I wouldn't. I vote for honorable people who care about their constituents.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:09 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• No. If it's a good deed that was done within the scope of their position, then it is to be expected. I would show no "favoritism" or gratitude and put my views and opinions aside, if I disagreed with the person's politics.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:38 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Ummmm, No
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:58 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• No.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 9:27 AM on Jul. 8, 2011