Can someone help me or give me advice/tips for weaning myself off my anti-depressant?

In the last year my 17 month old neice and my 28 year old sister died in their sleep very unexpectedly for different reasons, anyway I started having really bad stress headaches so my doctor put me on doxepin. They failed to let me know that it is "addictive". I have tried 3 times to go off it and end up going through hell, I guess Im doing it too fast. My husband and are are wanting to start ttc so I need to go off doxepin for sure. My doc. wants me to be on something so they strarted me on celexa, so in the meantime, I need to go off my doxepin before I can start trying. I need some help on excatly how many days I should do what. I have 25mg capsules. I was told I can open them and dump out have or whatever I need to. Can someone help me out? Thanks

asholan_07

Asked by asholan_07 at 7:54 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Health

• When I went off mine I did it slowly. I was taking a small dose as you are once a day. I cut a weeks worth of pills in half and took a half dose daily for 7 days, I than cut them into quarters and took a quarter of my dose for the next 7 days and than finally, I took a quarter of a dose every other day and before I knew it I was off them without going crazy. This may work well for you or you may need to do the half dose thing longer followed by a longer time ith the quarter dose. Good luck hon, I know what you are going through. I am also so very sorry to hear about your loss.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 8:38 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• No sorry i can def. not help you and you better dont just stop taking them because you want to have a baby.

Please talk to your doctor tell them that you and hubby want to have a baby and that you want to get off this medicine soon. They will write a plan on how to use this kind of medicine to get you off of it. It will def. take a lot of time. But its important to not take any kind of medicine before you get pregnant.

I wish you good luck.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 7:58 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I already have talked to my doctor and they put me on celexa because we want to conceive and they said that is 100% safe. They said that if Im worried about trying to go off it again then I can wait another 4 weeks(until the celexa kicks in) and they will help me wean off it and if I feel like I can, then I can try to go off it myself.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 8:03 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I don't know anything about that particular drug. But when I've weaned off of antidepressants, I've always done it very, very slowly. So, you're taking one capsule a day right now? Here's what I would do. I would drop a half dose once a week until I slowly get down to zero. So, Sunday through Friday, take your full dose. Then Saturday take a half dose. The second week take a full dose on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday, a half dose on Wednesday, a full dose on Thursday and Friday, and a half dose on Saturday. The third week take full doses on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, and take half doses on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Keep dropping it like that until you get down to all half doses all seven days. Then repeat the process, ony drop from a half dose to nothing, one day a week at first, then two days, then three, etc. Did that make sense?
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 8:03 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• take it slowly!!! My doc only put me on a 10 day weaning schedule and it was NOT enough! I had terrible withdrawals and went through hell. I would do it over a month at least.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 11:15 PM on Dec. 16, 2008