Rho-Gam

I get my Rho-Gam shot on thursday and I was wondering how sore you are afterwards. I heard from someone that its kinda a big needle. I dont know. Just trying to prepare myself. I dont mind needle, I just use my arms a lot at work and like I said, just trying to prepare myself. Thanks.

vickwu

Asked by vickwu at 7:56 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Personally if I was rh -, I would not want this injection. It is a purified blood product which is not typically told to women when receiving this. Any type of blood product, I am leery of due to the possibility for contamination.

Anonymous

• it is very important that you have this or you risk losing your baby and future babies. it is a big needle. it hurts worse than most injections. you get it in your hip.
    Anonymous

• I had to get it. I didn't look at the needle but I know it's in your hip and it's like they're injecting scalding hot water into you. It hurts but it's important.
    yunglovers143

Answer by yunglovers143 at 8:26 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• It's not really all that big, and I don't like needles. It's not going to get stuck straight into your bone it goes in the rather fleshy part of a butt cheek, near the hip. It does burn a little, and your muscle will probably be a bit tender for the next day but it's really not that bad and it's definitely worth it for your and your baby's health. I've had 4 now with no trouble. If your baby is RH positive, then you will have to have another shot after it's born but I've never needed the second dose.

If you don't have the shot and deliver an RH+ baby, your body will develop antibodies which can make both you and the baby VERY sick. It also means you will most likely never be able to carry another RH+ baby again, I don't know the exact odds but it's near nill. It's not worth it to skip the shot.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 8:40 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Thanks everyone...I am getting the shot, I have a friend who lost one baby and almost lost another because of the rh factor.

Now to prepare myself for the shot!!!
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 8:49 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Alright, don't skip the shot. I work for the company that makes RhoGam and everything is safe. It is made from human plasma that has been heavily pre-screened for diseases and even went through an ultrafiltration process that would remove HIV and Hepatiis. It has been almost 40 years since RhoGam hit the market and has not cause a single transmissable disease.

I am a nurse and have given the shot, the injection is thick and I have only ever given it in the tushy because of it. If a nurse even offers it in your arm, do yourself a favor and offer your butt up for the stab. You will tolerate it much better that way and have less pain while going in and while it is being absorbed.

Good luck!
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 8:50 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Girlnefly, is this not one of the statments on your CafeMom Home page:

"I am an experienced nurse that has never worked OB, I am prectically clueless when it comes to OB specific medical knowledge. I want to learn from all the mothers out there what to expect."?

If so, then have your really ADMINISTERED this medication? In what type of setting would you give Rho-gam injections if you have no OB experience?

All blood products no matter how they are processed contain a risk of contamination to the patient. Even Rho-gam indications and contraindications information will state this if you read the brochure. Have you?

Anonymous