Housemate and her house guests dog...........

ok, here's the deal. I rent a basement from a woman in a house. One reason being is because there's more private than apartment houses and it's quieter. I have PTSD on top of other anxiety and medical issues.

Leaving the house can be horribly scary most of the time, but I'm getting better. Anyway, my housemate is getting medical treatment, so her friends are staying with her in rotation.
The fact that there are now strangers in the house that I have to deal with (granted not much) is already stressful, but it's been workable. I am doing all I can to help out and be patient since my housemate has a medical situation to deal with.

Now, here's the problem. The woman that arrived day before yesterday brought along a dog that I was not aware of, and as soon as they leave the house that dog yips and barks CONSTANTLY the entire time. Which so far has been at least 4 hours. From what I understand, they will be gone for about 4 hours everyday for I'm not sure how long.

I just can't take the barking. if they are home, you can't hear the dog. But when they are gone, the dog barks so much that music does not drown it out entirely, and it gets me so nervous that my hands shake for the rest of the day.
I'm not even going to get into the Marijuana smoking that has gone on that I smelled and one of the friends told me about. (it's legal here if you are medically oked, but you can get medically oked for it by having a sprained ankle. ) far as I know, that has stopped. at least in the house.

when we moved in, it was agreed that there would be no smoking of any kind. any pets we had when we moved in and were all agreed upon. It's not that I mind dogs, I love dogs! I just can't take all the barking.

so I did speak with the dog owner, and she seems at a loss because she didn't know her dog barked much. I suggested doggie day care, but she just laughed at that idea.

I looked up that doggie day care around here is about 20.00 a day for the least expensive package. I'm looking to charge out of our rent for the amount of time I'd have to be gone to avoid the barking, the cost of my transportation there and back (I use a handiapped ride service) and what it would have cost them for a day of doggie day care. Since that would avoid the issue for me, but far as I can tell they aren't willing to consider.

That's not even considering my anxiety and my time really.

I'd love to be able to just say, 'hey no problem' but I medically cannot. Since the stress is a toll on my medical situation as well.

any thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Pets

• perhaps doggie wouldn't bark if he was down stairs with you instead of upstairs alone? if you could handle it. Sounds like separation anxiety
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 3:08 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Your medical issues are just as important as hers. You have rights as a renter. I'd find out exactly what they are and then reiterate those rights and what you'd agreed upon to the owner, despite her present medical situation. Ask the dog owner to find the dog another friend to stay with because your own medical problems plus rental agreement, make the dog's barking an unacceptable issue to deal with. But you may need to give proof, via rights or agreement.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:52 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I'd stop paying rent. If she doesn't have to abide by your agreement either do you. And let her know this before hand so she has time to think it over.. or bring the dog into your room and charge her a fee for "doggie day care" if it is with you I bet it wont bark.. seperation anxiety or what have you. My dog cant stand to be alone. You can deduct it from you rent, write up a statement or bill for her and make it all professional, if she doesnt like it she can try to take you to court but you have a good case.
    Eko

Answer by Eko at 9:52 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Another thing you can do is call the cops and file a report. Your city should have laws or ordinances about noise violations ect.. you can find them online or call your local pd and ask them about it. Tell them the whole story and what can you do.. they should be able to help and give you a good, legal, way of getting the dog gone...

maybe you could go upstairs and let the dog out to potty, and maybe he just wont come back cuase the gate was left open, ops.
    Eko

Answer by Eko at 9:55 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• "perhaps doggie wouldn't bark if he was down stairs with you instead of upstairs alone? if you could handle it. Sounds like separation anxiety"

I agree. I suggested that, but apparently the Dog's mother doesn't like that idea. :P
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:01 PM on Jul. 13, 2011