For those who have a daughter 14 or older.....

My daughter is a natural blonde and wants her hair dyed black. I don't really have an issue with her dying it but black? I told her that black is the hardest to undo but she doesn't care. What do you think?

emmyandlisa

Asked by emmyandlisa at 10:48 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I am a hairdresser, and let me just say...not only is it the hardest thing to UNDO, but can turn out looking muddy. I'd compromise to a dark brown FIRST and make sure She pays for it to be done by a professional...including her paying for it when she ends up hating it and it has to be color corrected (very expensive). That IS what I have done with my girls... I have 3 of them..and they have all changed their hair color...from highlights to dark..then back to highlights.. I charge them when I have to correct the color back... and, I've made them go to other hair stylist..... Better to have her take responsibility for those typical changes girls want now. (it gets costly)
    momma-t42

Answer by momma-t42 at 9:57 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• tell her its her decion but you wont her to think it trew couse once you go to dark hair it hard to back yo light hair
    ilovewes

Answer by ilovewes at 10:53 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Let her do it. Experience is the best teacher. My younger daughter went for dark blue streaks--it was ok. It came and went.
    GrammytoTrin

Answer by GrammytoTrin at 11:02 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I think you're right that it will be hard to do anything but dark colors after going black, but as grammy said...experience is the best teacher. Bet it only happens one time...and it's only hair.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:16 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I let my daughter dye her hair pink last summer. She had to strip it first, so it looked pretty bad when it was growing out. But she was the one who had to live with it, not me. My philosophy is that choices in hair and clothing (except sleezy) are her own. What's inside is what counts and as long as she makes good decisions in important areas of her life, I let her experiment with how she looks.
    cege

Answer by cege at 12:53 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Allow her to dye her hair a temporary Black. And if she likes it, then she can get it permanent.
    lolyesduh

Answer by lolyesduh at 3:42 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• It's hair. It'll grow out. Let her dye it.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 9:32 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• My daughter just turned14 and had been bugging me for the longest time to color her hair. She had dirty blonde hair, which to be honest was a little ashy. We went to Ulta and purchased a semi permanent color. It is like a golden brown. It actually turned out pretty good, but it's not much different from her natural color. She really wanted to go darker, but I vetoed that idea. I don't care for that goth look. I also felt the super dark color would make her look too washed out. I agree with the above poster about having her pay for it. I only get my hair highlighted 3 or 4 times a year because of the cost. I did pay for the express keratin treatment for her last year and will probably do so again before school starts. I will not pay for her to maintain professional color. If the box isn't good enough she will have to wait until she gets a job.
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 3:29 PM on Jul. 8, 2011