Male babysitters?

how do you feel about having male babysitters?

The only female to babysitt DS has been my SIL. We generally have 2 main babysitters when we need them and they are both males. DS is close with both of them and we are suck close friends that DH and I consider them brothers. DS calls both of them tio (uncle in spanish) even though they are not blood related. I especially found it convienent (spell?) when DS was potty training. When we had either of our male friends babysitt we had no problems with him using the potty..but when my SIL would babysitt he would peepee in his pants. He would feel too shy to tell her that he had to go and he would have an accident. Now that he is older he dosent have that problem, but he still prefers his Tio's to watch him.

What are your views? No problems with a male babysitter? Strictly women?

MonkeyMommyNJ

Asked by MonkeyMommyNJ at 10:55 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• it all depends on trust. doesnt matter if they are male or female really. i would have 2 know them very well & trust them alot!
    ciaras_mom_05

Answer by ciaras_mom_05 at 11:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• my neighbors are a male/male couple and they are the only ones who ever babysit my daughter. i trust them both with her life, they play great with her and she is very comfortable with them. trust is the key, gender is not as important.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 11:01 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• My brother is a babysitter for quite a few families and all the kids love him. He is really great with kids. If I trust the person and feel that they would provide my children with the same love and care that I do, then I don't care whether they are male or female.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 11:02 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• My 15-year-old son babysits for me all the time. He is a great babysitter too. He can cook and knows what to do just like a girl would so I don't see why I should hire a girl. Actually I did once hire a girl and she was so busy with her own social life she completely ignored my kids. My son does lots of fun things and is very responsible.
    t3dragonflies

Answer by t3dragonflies at 11:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• When my boys were little somehow I always found girl babysitters that always turned out to be a problem. We never had any issues with boy babysitters. Ther boys didn't act up, they listened, they made the boys mind, the house wasn't wrecked. I finally just stopped asking the girls. My grandchildren have only ever been sat with by my Mom or my sister. My gs is much too medically fragile to do otherwise.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:18 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• If I know them very well I would try it. My 13 year old son was actually wanting to try that to make money. I didn't know how others would feel either though.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 11:02 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Depends on the person, the sex to me has nothing to do with it. You would think people would trust women less since everytime you read/hear about daycare or babysitter abuse it's always a woman.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 11:16 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I think it depends on the gender of your children as well. I have two girls, and there are only one guy I think I'd ever let watch my kids, and that's my uncle.. he babysat me a lot while I was growing up, so I obviously know what he's like as a sitter and completely trust him.. my brother moved out of state, so I can't have him sit for them, and I love my dad, but he's not the most attentive.. my kids would have the house destroyed and he'd probably loose one of them, lol.
    But honestly thats it. I had a male babysitter when I was a kid who was a family friends son.. my parents knew him since he was a baby and thought they knew him.. but he ended up raping me and molesting my brother. So I have a fear about male sitters.. I don't want my daughters going through what I went through.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:04 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Uh uh no way no how ever! I have a very low trust for men with my kids. I trust 5 men with my kids.
    My husband
    my dad
    my FIL
    my brother
    1 of my BILs

I dont trust one of my brothers, one of my hubbs brothers, or even my DD bio father.....
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 11:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I don't like to leave my kids with anyone but family, and I have a good family, so no worries. My brothers have and the grandpas have sat for my kids, and I've never had any worries at all.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:15 PM on Jul. 7, 2011