how can I break my son from the bottle he is over a year and a half and does well with a cup but when its time for bed he wants it to go to sleep with?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:02 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It has just water in it, right? How about if you let him have it but empty?

Answer by Bmat at 8:12 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• If he's using a cup, then he doesn't need a bottle...at all.

Take it away and be done with it. He'll cry and fuss for a couple of nights...but then you'll be done with it.

It's a habit now, not a necessity...especially if he can use a cup.
    Anonymous

• my daughter was 18 months when I had my 3rd daughter. She was still on the bottle & I was breastfeeding the baby & too tired & worn out to push the issue. She would use the sippy cup when we ate but naptime & bedtime it was the bottle. It was like her security blanket. I don't even remember exactly when it happened but one night I gave her the cup & she was fine with it. It was right before her 2nd birthday. Don't worry it will be ok. I thought my oldest was going to kindergarten with her pacifier.
    Jan40

Answer by Jan40 at 8:23 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Be careful he/she could get baby tooth decay if it has milk or juice in the bottle! I took the bottle away from my son at 10 months old! He or she will cry for a few days then it will be over and done with! Good luck!
    porterjoshua06

Answer by porterjoshua06 at 9:15 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• the only thing i did was wait. my dd is 15 months and almost completely off the bottle. she did it in her own time. i just brushed her teeth twice a day and she was good.
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 11:43 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• It took my daughter off the bottle cold turkey a few days ago... she is 15 months old... I have another one on the wy and did not want two on the botlle...I just put all the bottles in a bag and put them away where she could not see them. She cried the first night at bed time and that was it. My problem is she will not drink milk from a cup at all. Her doctor said that was fine... just give her cheese, yogurt, calcium fortified oj, ect. I say just take it away and dont give in... it may seem harsh... but it works.
    momof1308

Answer by momof1308 at 3:35 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• they have these cup that are soft like a bottle but more like a cup. they are at walmart for like $1.90. My DD uses these and loves them she too had a bottle faze...
    kennedysmum

Answer by kennedysmum at 6:59 PM on Dec. 17, 2008