How do I adjust to being a stay at home mom??

I have a 3 week old son, and am now a stay at home mom with him. I have always wanted this, but even though its only been 3 weeks I'm already getting restless. Any ideas on things I can do to keep myself busy while he is asleep?? The TV is just not cutting it anymore. I have no family near me and I hate to complain about it already to my husband. Will it get any easier??

sweetjpea

Asked by sweetjpea at 8:05 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have just gotten used to it. i have worked since I was 15 and full time since I was out of school at 18 so being a sahm was totally different for me. For the last 2 years I have been at home everday and some days I think I need to go back to work because I just never leave the house, but I just cannot imagine leaving me daughter for multiple hours or really even at all. Hopefully it will get better for you.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 8:11 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I love being a SAHM and I never really had to adjust to it. I would say pick up a hobby of some sort and when yous tart getting bored with chores, TV, cafemom ;), start your hobby and see if that helps.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 8:15 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I gardened and did handcrafts. I studied nutrition and child-rearing. I learned to make meals from scratch, including interesting and nutritious breads. I read cookbooks and made interesting meals. I had dinner parties often.

Answer by Bmat at 8:20 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I was going crazy too until I found Cafemom. But to be honest it's been about two months or so since I've been on here and it's starting to get old. Look for some Mommy and Me classes in your area that you can go to with your baby. Library's usually have a story time for kids that's free. There's lots of activities that you can do. If you go out and about in the am you'll like having nap time as a break and won't mind TV or books or whatever else you during that time that's getting old now.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:20 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I don't miss working at all! I am going to school in January and that's really exciting for me. It's only 2 days out of the week and for a few hours so I don't have to leave my baby for a long time. I do get bored, though. When your baby gets older, you can take him with you to do your errands, or find other new moms that want to hang out too.
    00MissJade

Answer by 00MissJade at 8:21 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Take classes while your husband is home from work, so he can watch the baby and you can get out. A few hours a week, whether it be for fun or educational purposes is good for new SAHM. Or go out with your baby and take mommy and me classes together like yoga in the day. Go to the park, zoo, aquarium...find activities you like, so you don't get bored at home...cuz that easily can happen for both you and the baby. I find myself getting bored and need to get outta the house, so does my 1 year old girl. She gets so excited when we get out. Congrats on your new baby!
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 8:40 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Yeah I'm w/ you.I wish I could work too.I have 11month old twins and I'm still not happy being at home all day.I miss being out with adults every day, being able to go to the store or shopping whenever I want but those day's are over.
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 8:43 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Find a hobby....mine is the internet. I am on when not cleaning and the kids are happy.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:50 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I think it would be good to make friends with someone that has a baby your age too - so you can relate and you can do your shopping together, or watch movies together or whatever.
    00MissJade

Answer by 00MissJade at 8:51 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• It will get better when your baby starts to stay awake more, then the fun begins! Enjoy the quite moments while you have them.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 9:18 PM on Dec. 16, 2008