If I want to adopt a child under 2 yrs old thru the state, should I foster-to-adopt or straight to adoption?

I am just curious because my dh and I going through the foster/adoption training currently, and the instructor didn't give me a clear answer.

Jdenos

Asked by Jdenos at 11:10 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Adoption

• You'll have better luck with foster-to-adopt and they usually pay the adoption costs.
    GrammytoTrin

Answer by GrammytoTrin at 11:17 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• You should foster/adopt if you are looking for a child under 2. Our (now) AS was placed with us at 6 months, but not available for adoption until 27 months old and the finalization took place at 32 months old. He was in our home for 2 years by the time we adopted him. You do open yourself up to loss by fostering first, but we thought that building the bond early would be beneficial to the baby and us. There was a newborn placement before him that was reunified with her family after a few months, but it was and still is a very good placement for her. While it hurt to see her leave, we felt a sense of accomplishment for being able to stand in the gap for her until she could go with her family. We were meant to adopt him, not her. He needed parents to raise him after his parents' rights were terminated.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:23 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Thanks for the comments because the instructor said there is no foster to adopt, so I am confused. But when I told her our interest in fostering to adopt a child under 2yrs she said ok that's fine!

Will the state only match us with a child where a permanent placement is more likely?
    Jdenos

Comment by Jdenos (original poster) at 11:56 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Foster-to-adopt is the best way to get a young child. Usually the children that are placed in foster care at or shortly after birth are the ones that are going to be available for adoption later-but not always. If you specifically state that you want foster-to-adopt, then maybe they will only place a child in your home if it is likely going to be permenant. However, all foster cases are individual and what looks like a sure foster-to-adopt case can turn around and the child go back to family.
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 6:52 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• OP, if you make it clear that you're more interested in adopting or foster/adopting, they DO try to place what they call "high-risk" children in your home. That way IF the child becomes available & they already know that you're wanting to adopt, it saves them from having to move a child to another home. They will put them with you, rather than a home that they know is NOT interested in adopting. Why allow a child to bond to a family only to have to be moved? It's no guarantee. There's no way for them to predict whether a child will be available to adopt in the future. However, they do look at the number of prior terminations and that can indicate a higher probability that a child will need to be adopted in the future. That's what happened to us. The parents had had a previous termination therefore making it "more likely" that he would need an adoptive home in the future. I can't imagine our son living 2 yrs somewhere else...
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:31 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Foster to adopt is Your best bet. Bit be careful. They will play with your emotions. Tell you what They think you want to hear. We learned we are better off not saying, then when things get to decision time and They ask if you're interested.....you let them know.
    thelowlander

Answer by thelowlander at 12:37 AM on Jul. 19, 2011