Is it cruel to take away a child's favorite toy as a discipline measure?

My sister does this with her four-year old, but I don't agree.

123getready

Asked by 123getready at 11:28 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Not to me, it's a punishment..it's not supposed to be fun.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 11:29 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• No, it is not. My son has had everything taken away but his bed for disrespect and not cleaning his room. He learned really fast that in order to have nice things he has to be respectful, behaved and keep his things clean and put away.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:29 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Yes, I agree with taking away a fav toy or tv,phone, etc.. Taking away something they don't care about would be pointless.. I find taking away a toy is ineffective if you have to take it away over and over again for every little thing.. Now, I would not take away their security blanket or stuffy for misbehavior, that would be cruel..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:33 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Favorite toy to play with I agree. Comfort toy such as a stuffed animal or something I do not.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:41 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• No, unless it was their comfort object.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 12:00 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I think it is fine. I do it with my 3 yr old. I would never take away her favorite stuffie or blanket, but toys I think is totally ok to use as an example of what hapens when they do something bad.
    melliesmom1207

Answer by melliesmom1207 at 12:01 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• This is a favorite stuffed animal. The crime? Picking at a boo-boo.
    123getready

Comment by 123getready (original poster) at 12:14 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Seems kind of excessive to punish for picking a boo boo. They're hard to resist, and itchy, who can blame the kid.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:25 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I do not think it is cruel, and bottom line it is not your child to punish.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 6:38 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• was the crime picking at it or was it picking out it repeatedly after being told not to pick at it? The first is one thing. The second, however, is no longer about the action itself but about not following directions and proceeding with a behavior that could cause infection or at least reopen the wound and cause it bleed. Was this the only thing that happened that day or was their a day of simply ignoring mom? There is usually more at play than just one simple action.

Regarding the actual question though - I do not have a problem taking a favorite item or privilege away from a child that is not listening. In fact, it's rather pointless to remove an item that's a child is relatively indifferent to at the time. A warning first ("If you do not stop favorite toy is going into time out for given duration") is what we typically do. If they still do not follow through then I do.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 7:06 AM on Jul. 8, 2011