GYPSY

What is your definition of one?

sarasmommy777

Asked by sarasmommy777 at 11:33 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I'm part gypsy and we're alive and thriving... Gypsy is a ethnic group of (often but not always) traveling people. There are the Romany (like me) and the Irish travelers. Irish travelers are part of the reality show my big fat gypsy wedding. Gypsies tend to be secretive and private, often work with horses, agriculture, tinkering and knife making/sharpening. Some gypsies give us a bad rep but most are honest hardworking and trustworthy honorable people
    gonefishin

Answer by gonefishin at 11:41 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Gypsies were a race of people in Central Europe, I think... Not really sure. But as I understand it, they lived a transient sort of life, moving often and doing simple work for people as they passed by - things like mending a shed or darning your socks, for a few coins. They had a reputation for being quite carefree, not tied down by owning homes and the like. The cultural stereotype that comes to mind for me is a lady with long black hair, dancing in colourful clothes.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 11:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Roma from all the occupied countries of Europe were rounded up and like the Jews, shipped to death camps in eastern Europe. Estimates of the number of Roma exterminated by the Nazis and in the puppet states and allies of Germany range from a bare minimum of 500,000 based on existing Nazi records, to well over a million based on research that is currently ongoing to establish the full extent of the o Porayimos œ the Devouring

Racial slur

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:41 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I don't know much, we have a community of gypsies not far from here. The houses are very nice, the windows are blacked out though. But I really don't know anything officially.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:57 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I saw a part of that show & there were little girls dressed like strippers and dancing very sexy and maybe 7 yrs old? it was very bizarre, not sure why, i only caught the end of it, have seen there interesting wedding gowns : ) you hear of Gypsies but never really know the meaning or history on them at least for me anyways : )
    sarasmommy777

Comment by sarasmommy777 (original poster) at 11:45 PM on Jul. 7, 2011