Car is not running right and hubby will have to ride bike 6 miles

so we bought a vehicle the guy said it needed a alternator. had father in law check it out he test drove it said it was fine. we changed alternator and battery but there is a open circuit that keeps draining the battery. now we think it is in the ignition switch. the sad part is hubby is not working a full time job he only had 2 weeks worth of temp job and it is getting frustrating and were to take it in tommorrow to be fixed but hubby is gonna have to ride his bike 6 miles to come home then back to get the vehicle and it is gonna be hot. but is the only place that is close and cheaper. but i am freaking out on him doing it. we have noone available to drive behind him tot ake him home etc everyone is working or out of town. sadpart is hubby has not rode a bike in years nor exercised that much since he got hurt when my ten yearold was 3 months old. is there anything i can do for him to make it better i know to send water with him but i am so worried.

WildCat73

Asked by WildCat73 at 11:44 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Health

• Best advice I could give is to make sure he does a warm up and stretch for a few minutes before he leaves to get his heart rate up and muscles ready for the ride.
    H.I.S.

Answer by H.I.S. at 11:51 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Man, that sucks. I think you are right, it does sound like the ignition switch. I would pack some Tylenol too in case he is hurting after.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 11:49 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I live in a very rural area where towns are 30 miles apart....and often there are ads in the paper asking for people who work in the next town to carpool. I do feel for you because we have 2 cars with bad front ends and if we drive them the wheels will fall off, literally
    so my dh drives a very old beat up truck instead but it guzzles gas. anyway try posting on messages boards or newspapers about carpooling and get a large tube of bengay and rub his legs and give him 3 advils before he starts his bike rides...the Advil will be in his system and detour any on coming aches and pains....also epson salt in hot bath water works wonders
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 11:57 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• i agree w the warm ups and tylenol and gatorade just make sure he stays hydrated, im sorry you guys are going through this.maybe he can find somebody to carpool with? good luck!
    luckygirl2000

Answer by luckygirl2000 at 7:31 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• yeah he told me no way he would allow me to try to do it. that it was best bet that mommy stay home with the kids. i am worried though his body is not like it used to be and i really am scared.
    WildCat73

Comment by WildCat73 (original poster) at 11:54 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• If you have one, I'd say fill a 100oz camlebak bladder with cold gatorade and make him take that with him to protect his back and give him plenty of fluids to drink on the ride(s).
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:57 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• rub that man down girl before he goes on this journey... let him know you are feeling his pain too... luckygirl2000 and LizzeeT got some good answers... tell your man we are rooting for him. hope he finds a ride
    miamoma

Answer by miamoma at 7:54 AM on Jul. 8, 2011