What is the best way to discipline my 12 month old?

My son have been the definition of perfect since the beginning he is very intellegent, outgoing, independent, SO well behaved people just can't believe it and always one step above the rest for all of his milestones. However now that he has been walking for about 6 weeks now he is in to EVERYTHING!!! which i understand is usual, i cant blame him i know he is just curious but i have tried everything i can think of t0 deterr him from getting into stufff he shouldn't.. I mean my house is definitley baby proof 100% but still he finds thing to get into and no mattter what i try whether its just plain old no, or please don't touch that i try getting down to his level and explaining like "that is dangerous not for dawson",. i've tried distraction with other toys nothing nothing nothing works no matter what i say or do he just laughs histerically and runs back to the item even faster it just becomes a game every time! what do i do?

MommylovsdawsoN

Asked by MommylovsdawsoN at 11:46 PM on Jul. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• A 12 month old can't really comprehend "discipline." Saying no, putting things out of sight or reach and redirecting him is really all you can do. It's frustrating, but he will learn, I promise.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 11:53 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• From the time my kids were mobile, we had a special drawer/cupboard in the kitchen that was THEIRS. It had plastic bowls, a few pot lids and a couple wooden spoons for them to do whatever they wanted with. If they got into anything else it was taken away with "NOT yours". They'd then get moved in front of their stuff and told, "THIS is yours". After a couple dozen tries to get into stuff not for them they learned to leave it alone.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:01 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• We did time out chair since about 11 months. I try the, NO. If that doesn't work, she is walked to the time out chair, which is the kitchen in my house, in the corner, facing out (not facing the wall). I walk her to it, place her in the chair, and they get 1 minute for every year old they are. My LO is 19 Months, she gets 2 minutes. If she gets out, just walk her back and place her in it again, time starts over, it's important not to talk to her/him. Once the time out is over, I help(ed) her down, gave her a hug and said, Mary you were in time out for... Then she goes on with her day. Worked really well for us. Good Luck.
    Pamarita

Answer by Pamarita at 3:14 PM on Jul. 8, 2011