Been noticing a trend at humane and animal shelters

people are going in left and right in Indianapolis stealing dogs out of the shelter. the latest was a kid who put a puppy in his bookbag ( or a bag of some sort) and kind of threw it over the fence, the parents figured it out made him return it. why isn't security tighter in these places it worries me someone hoarding or who abuses animals will get to them and hurt them. they need to find a better way of keeping these animals safe.

WildCat73

Asked by WildCat73 at 12:04 AM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Pets

• I would work security for the shelters for free!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:58 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I watched a lot of kids' tv shows, thanks to my young'uns, and they actually had an episode of Dora the Explorer where Dora and her friends "rescued" the dogs from the shelter and set them free. Someone should really check the content of these shows before they show them to our kids!!
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 12:06 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• it's sad in this country...when it comes to animal rules and regulations, the laws truly suck all the way across the board..if people would stop breeding their pets, there wouldn't be a need to shelters :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:12 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• AMEN calliesmommie!! There are way to many backyard breeders selling their dogs puppies for extra cash, if they'd put laws in place stopping this it would greatly help shelter numbers get smaller. One can only hope.
    Eko

Answer by Eko at 9:46 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• It's all because of irresponsible pet owners and backyard breeders! I wish these people would/could be forced to work at a shelter for a few days (especially on the day of euthanasia)! I bet the majority of them would change their minds and have their pets spayed/neutered!
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 10:28 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• i got my dog from a rescue that petsmart had in one day. they actually had 2 rescue sites in but i was amazed all i had to do was pay 80 dollars and fill out a form and sign i would get her fixed they did no back ground check etc the other one had more paperwork and did a check. we had fell in love with this black lab mixed breed if we could of afforded to we would of grabbed her brother to but we just could not take two that would get that big in our small home. we got her into the vet the following week and she was fixed. i know about irresponsible owners they keep dropping the pregnant cats off to our home, we actually had a cat give birth without us knowing. i ended up with the male kitten but before i could get momma fixed she got pregnant again but someone wanted her for their farm so they asked for her and her female babies. they said they would fix them since i could not told them good luck they are feral.
    WildCat73

Comment by WildCat73 (original poster) at 11:08 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• very little funding for this.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:06 AM on Jul. 8, 2011