How can I get out of the habit of spending too much money?

With shopping on the net being so easy and grabbing too much stuff in the stores, I am about broke. It just slips up on me and I don't know how to discipline myself.

evelyngayle

Asked by evelyngayle at 8:18 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Money & Work

• Cut up your credit cards and put yourself on a cash-only basis. And I mean CASH cash...give yourself a weekly allowance of cash from the bank. NOT the ATM...go in and get money from a teller. Fill your gas tank and do your grocery shopping at that point. Whatever's left is what you have for the rest of the week.

No more internet buying for now.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:22 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Cut the credit cards up!!!!!!! that's what I would do. me I just stay home and personally I hate online shopping:):) GOOD LUCK!!!!
    rocamom

Answer by rocamom at 8:23 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I was like that but my husband took the credit cards, bank cards, and money! When I needed something I asked just the amount it cost! About 6 months later I got a bank card, now I never spend money and I try not to! I can have a twenty in my wallet and keep it their for 2 weeks now! :-)
    porterjoshua06

Answer by porterjoshua06 at 9:08 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• cut cards up . go to the bank go inside to withdrawl cash ...you end up not wanting to go into the bank so what ever impulse buy you want you have to think twice about... if you gotta spend go to the local dollar tree... you might spend say 50 dollars at a time but then you have 50 items to do what ever wiht ... thats alot of places to put things and will get old fast...
    allensavannahs

Answer by allensavannahs at 1:46 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Stop using your debit card!!!! pull out an alotted amount of money budgeted for each week. once the money is gone its gone no going and getting more. I had a really hard time from19-22 money wise. I got a lot of credit cards and a debit card it took me freaking out to realize that I was in serious trouble and needed to control myself. I would find myself in the Bon (wehen tthey were the bon) with an arm load of stuff and trying them on then looking at the things and asking do i NEED this or can i make due with what I already have..95% of the time I could do without the item...and im guessing that a Large % of what you buy you dont actually NEED. Be critical of what you are buying and spending...Oh the other thing tht helped me wa to write down EXACTLY what i spent every single day down to the penny..No cheating and leaving out the soda or gum you bought. Good Luck
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 2:17 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Do not use the credit cards.Remember buy only what you need.Pay all the bills first and your basic supplies,then give yourself an allowance each month like forty dollars.Think instead of buying those fifty dollars jeans you can save it in the bank or put it in an investment account.Start saving for your retirement or a house something big don't throw your money down the drain thats why at the end of the month your broke.Stop spending GOOD LUCK.
    monica277

Answer by monica277 at 5:48 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• yes it is so hard,,,,,,,,i do it also,,i love it ,,love to shop and have to find control, but i will do the after x-mas sales,,,,,,,too good of deals,,,,,,,and ill put away for next year
    cameron536

Answer by cameron536 at 6:10 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• use alot of self control. i put away my cc except one. and i use cash as much as i can and buy as little as i can
    Thalie

Answer by Thalie at 8:20 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I LOVE TO SHOP!!! My Hubby jokes with me all the time about how much I shop. I won't put us in the poor house or anything I just love my retail therapy!!! I never spend beyond our means so it's really not a problem.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 1:48 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Grow up.
    Anonymous