Tryng to motivate kids to clean their room tommorrow

they want to play in the waterhose so i figure the deal might be clean your room then you get to. after all i already took privileges away for not having it done and it has not yet worked. grounding from video games,toys , tv it is like they do not care. maybe they will actually do it

WildCat73

Asked by WildCat73 at 12:14 AM on Jul. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• Clean them , or I come with a garbage bag and toss! You don't have to so the toss part but at least fill the bag and make them work to get back! Very effective even on my young girls because they know we will follow through.
    Amr515

Answer by Amr515 at 12:18 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I think you need to stink to either removing a privilege or offering an incentive or they might get confusing messages. I would say that incentives work better than punishment. Psychologically, punishment has been proven to send confusing messages. The kids don't know if they're being punished for a specific behavior unless you make it clear to them. You want them to associate positive feelings with cleaning versus being afraid of what might be taken away if they don't. Also, try turning cleaning into a game. Like whoever can clean up an area the fastest gets extra points that they can cash in for rewards and special privileges.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 12:22 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• i have done all that with my kids and none of it worked. so i learned a trick from boy scouts that i try to do and the kids respect it i tell them they have to pick up 1 item for each year they are for example a 6 yr old would pick up 6 items and put them away they have to count as they go wich helps them practice counting. also they get so preacupied counting that they end up picking up more them they thought. also if it is reall bad i tell them 6 more things again i started this as young as 3 yrs old
    Elise_Gurrola

Answer by Elise_Gurrola at 12:24 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Give them a time to be done and how it needs to be done. Explain that if their rooms are not clean to your liking by whatever time that you will come in with garbage backs and remove EVERYTHING from their room but their bed and clothes and then do it. Then they earn their things back by doing extra chores, being respectful, etc.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:25 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I like what Amr515 said. I would also give a time limit. "You have 1 hour to get your room clean. If it's not clean by then I'm coming in with a trash bag and cleaning it for you." My kids usually get their rooms clean after that's said.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:26 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I'd start taking things away. Like tell them one hour to clean up all stuff off the floors then once the hours is up you come in with garbage bag whatever is left on the floor gets tossed. I wouldnt actually toss the stuff though but keep it & distribute it back as they earn it.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 12:20 AM on Jul. 8, 2011