I have a 11yr old son who has autism an nonverbal he has discoverd himself and what comes out of it . what do i do help the doc wants to put him on meds!

als2000

Asked by als2000 at 12:43 AM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Do you mean his penis? Or rectum?
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 12:45 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• why does the dr want to put him on meds? because that part of him is normal? My son has autism. And when he gets to that point of masturbating I don't plan on putting him on meds. its normal to do that
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 12:45 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I agree with myownhappiness. I don't know a lot about autism but would it help to discuss this with your son?
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 12:53 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• My step brother (who is now 24) has down syndrome. his mental capacity is that of a 12 yr old...least part of him. He discovered himself and what it feels like but rather than punish him my step mom and my dad just taught him that you can not do it in public nor all the time. i dont know why or what meds his doc wants him on but masturbation is very normal and you should be happy he got to that milestone...my stepbrother was about 20 when he discovered all the parts of his body. just teach him and encourage the behavior for behind closed doors, and maybe have a code word so nobody bothers him during that time ("I'm going to play with charlie" is my step brothers words) this is normal...very very normal...be happy and relish in his growing up. good luck
    LadyOsgood

Answer by LadyOsgood at 4:32 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• my son has autistic tendencies( see his story on my homepage) we taught him to use his bedroom and close the door. For children with a mind like ours saying the bathroom,to them a BR is a Br,they dont distinguish school BR from church BR from Target BR.....
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 12:00 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I would be finding a new Dr! I don't have an autistic child, so I can't imagine the difficulties, but I do see what my friends with autistic kids face, and my heart goes out to you.

But I agree with the pps - I would try working with him to not do this in public, or all the time, but I'm really not comfortable with the thought of putting him on meds to stop this (and I get the feeling you aren't comfortable with it, either - which is the important part).

Have you looked into the autism boards on here, and see if any of the moms who might have gone through this has any more specific advice?

Good luck to you and your son with this!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:09 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• do you have a therapist working with your son?
    a good ABA therapist will have good "tricks" to help with teaching your sone that this is a private time
    if your federal autism waiver time has expired, and therefore you have no therapist at hand, call your local autism chapter
    use yellow pages, make calls until you speak to someone who has some good idea to try

as you know already
    autism means try this and if it does not work, try this , then this

my child is 4 year old girl, so i do not know any tricks to try
    i say tricks , because getting child to think it is his/her idea to change behavoir is key
    and again try and try again

a certain sign language (since non verbal) that tells him to stop and take it to his room, or him saying that he want s have private time
    does he do sign at all?

hugs from another mom who faces autism struggles every day

hugs again ( i know you need more than
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:18 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• what are these meds suppose to do?
    "calm him" to the point of be being able to
    or take away the urge? - like hormonal

do not see how meds would help a natural urge
    ABA sounds like better option
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:22 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I wouldn't put my child on meds, that is a normal part of life and there is already too many kids on medication and they really don't like it because they feel drugged
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 4:17 AM on Jul. 12, 2011