Adult tooth

My son has been losing and growing new teeth for some time now. Several months ago he lost the two teeth that are directly beside the two big front teeth. Well last night, he came to me and said he pulled his tooth out and showed me his mouth. It was where one of his teeth had already fallen out. And it was bleeding. The tooth is very small, so I am wondering if he pulled out an adult tooth or if maybe he had another baby tooth there.

The tooth was small and looked like it had a cavity on it. Being a new tooth, I wouldn't think it would have a cavity. Also very small. But today he said it hurts really bad where he pulled the tooth out. And he said it was loose. I wouldn't think a new tooth would be loose.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm trying to get him into the dentist, but the waiting list is months long. I asked them to call me if they had a cancellation.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Jul. 8, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'd say it's very likely a baby tooth. The biggest concern is if it's still very painful. I've had kids lose teeth and I sorta lost track of where they were supposed to still be going from. Anyway, I have been in that situation where you thought it might have been an adult tooth, but no. Adult teeth are VERY firmly rooted, and as you said, it'd be highly unlikely to have a cavity already, and you said it was small, so I'd be almost 100% certain it's a baby tooth.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 1:09 AM on Jul. 8, 2011